[SOLVED] Weird screen tearing/horizontal lines when I game.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Hey, so basically I rock a GTX 1660S and an I3 10100F with 8gb of ram. In games like CSGO, I get 190-240-250 fps, it ranges. I have a 60hz monitor, and I get this strange screen tearing I think it's called, basically lines that kind of go across my screen. Is it because I'm playing on too much frames and my monitor can't deliver them because of the 60hz or is there another issue? I'm quite sure it gets fixed when I turn V-sync on and cap it to 60 fps from Nvidia Control Panel. This happens with other games that I get a lot of FPS too, including GTA 5.

Solution
Yeah you got it. Pretty much missing or mashed frames on screen. Refresh happens so quickly that it's hard to see frames actually being dropped or two different frame halves mashed together but rather see tearing or micro stutter (jitter) look as frames aren't being displayed fluently on screen.

If you hate Vsync input lag try limit fps to 59 if you have Vsync on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah you got it. Pretty much missing or mashed frames on screen. Refresh happens so quickly that it's hard to see frames actually being dropped or two different frame halves mashed together but rather see tearing or micro stutter (jitter) look as frames aren't being displayed fluently on screen.

Solution

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020

Thanks for the quick answer. I actually have one more question if that's OK with you. I had stuttering in GTA 5, I downloaded a problem that removes my cached files because Windows apparently doesn't do that, and it looks fixed. Now I have another issue doe, I get fps drops constantly when I go at a higher speed with my car and such. I'm gonna upgrade to 16 gbs of ram too. Do you have any advices?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem.

See what you get with more ram, that should see an improvement. Gta5 likes 16GB ram, that's for sure. An SSD would also go along way speeding up asset loading on the fly if using a regular HDD.

Also try Vsync set to half ingame and see what you get while driving. Set Vsync to application control in NvidaCP first.

I doubt you'd have grass detail set to ultra but if you do don't lol. That stuff is rough and it's not something you'll ever notice or stop to smell the roses.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
No problem.

See what you get with more ram, that should see an improvement. Gta5 likes 16GB ram, that's for sure. An SSD would also go along way speeding up asset loading on the fly if using a regular HDD.

Also try Vsync set to half ingame and see what you get while driving. Set Vsync to application control in NvidaCP first.

I doubt you'd have grass detail set to ultra but if you do don't lol. That stuff is rough and it's not something you'll ever notice or stop to smell the roses.
Thank you! Other than the stuttering and fps drops, my game doesn't drop from 90 fps at very high. My game reaches 130 fps when I first start playing. I'll see what I get with the upgrade to 16, once again I really appreciate your help!

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
No problem.

Hey, so I tried setting vsync to application control, but I can't seem to find that option. All I can see is Use Global Settings (on), Use the 3D Application Settings, Off, On,Adaptive, Adaptive Half Refresh Rate and Fast. Which one is application controlled again?