[SOLVED] Weird short vibration like sound coming from PC in intervals

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
So recently I've been hearing a sudden vibration like sound coming from my PC. Best way I can describe it is a "Brr" like as if a cable got stuck on a fan but not as high pitched and it barely lasts a second. I've checked for loose cables and have no idea what could be causing this. The only change I've recently done (just around this started happening) is that I changed my PSU and my back panel might not be the prettiest as its a bit messy but no cables interfere with any fans. The sound is either coming from the front of my PC or the back panel, I'm not sure.

Solution
Some suspects: PC side panel resonating, PSU coil whine.

Best to put your ear to PC and make sure from where the noise exactly comes from.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Some suspects: PC side panel resonating, PSU coil whine.

Best to put your ear to PC and make sure from where the noise exactly comes from.

I thought the psu coil whine is a high pitched noise that is persistent? This is just a very short deep like noise and happens out of nowhere honestly, no particular time frame, no matter the usage the pc has

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I thought the psu coil whine is a high pitched noise that is persistent?

At 1:44 here is sample of GPU coil whine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

Not sure if you can tell it, but i hear it pitching between high and low.

Coil whine isn't only high pitch "scream", it can be low pitched "hum" as well.
E.g have you even been near high voltage power lines/transformer and then hearing the low "hum" electricity does when passing? Coil whine is essentially the same and it can resonate on different frequencies.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
At 1:44 here is sample of GPU coil whine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

Not sure if you can tell it, but i hear it pitching between high and low.

Coil whine isn't only high pitch "scream", it can be low pitched "hum" as well.
E.g have you even been near high voltage power lines/transformer and then hearing the low "hum" electricity does when passing? Coil whine is essentially the same and it can resonate on different frequencies.

It's not even close to that sound. Imagine the sound your phone makes when it vibrates on a pillow, it's like a "Brr" For a split second

Reactions: CardistryFan

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
It then is most likely either HDD read/write noise, or HDD vibration due to the rotation.

I've been looking into it and it may be my PSU. I think the fan might be the one causing the noise. Maybe a cable going into the fan or something. The thing is, if I leave it like that and not do anything is there any risk of damage?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
Might as well include full system specs too.

if I leave it like that and not do anything is there any risk of damage?

Yes. Since IF it is PSU fan and when fan stops/dies, your PSU effectively has 0 cooling, whereby PSU can go "boom" due to overheating. And depending on which PSU you have, it can also fry everything it is connected to (aka your whole PC).

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
Might as well include full system specs too.

Yes. Since IF it is PSU fan and when fan stops/dies, your PSU effectively has 0 cooling, whereby PSU can go "boom" due to overheating. And depending on which PSU you have, it can also fry everything it is connected to (aka your whole PC).

The PSU is a Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W Bronze 80+. It's brand new and has around less than a week of use

Here are the rest of the specs:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: MSI Rx 6650 xt

RAM: G.Skill RipJaw V 3000 mhz

PSU: MasterWatt 650W Bronze 80+

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's brand new and has around less than a week of use

That's poor PSU. I suggest that you return it and get far better quality PSU. Like Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

And for 2nd opinion, your PSU sits in a Tier C,
PSU list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While what i'd suggest, would be anything from Tier A.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
That's poor PSU. I suggest that you return it and get far better quality PSU. Like Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

And for 2nd opinion, your PSU sits in a Tier C,
PSU list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While what i'd suggest, would be anything from Tier A.

Well, I contacted Cooler Master and I'm hoping I can get a refund or at least a replacement soon. If I get a refund I'll buy a better one but if I get a replacement I might just keep it.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
And when replacement unit produces the same fault again, then what? Stick to the poor PSU, regardless of anything? :unsure:

That's assuming the same fault happens. If it does I'll definitely upgrade my PSU. You think I can keep using my PC while the support team gets back to me?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You think I can keep using my PC while the support team gets back to me?

Yes, since it's either coil whine or fan bearing rattle.

Long-long time ago, i had Codegen PSU, which fan also started to rattle at random times. While also stopping the noise at random times (fan still spun around). After few months, i was fed up with the noise and bought my very 1st Seasonic unit, S12II-520. Been using Seasonic ever since and have 0 issues with them.

Lucas G

Prominent
Dec 20, 2021
Yes, since it's either coil whine or fan bearing rattle.

Long-long time ago, i had Codegen PSU, which fan also started to rattle at random times. While also stopping the noise at random times (fan still spun around). After few months, i was fed up with the noise and bought my very 1st Seasonic unit, S12II-520. Been using Seasonic ever since and have 0 issues with them.

Ended up buying Super Flower Leadex III 750W Gold 80+ version

Reactions: Aeacus