[SOLVED] Weird situation. WiFi access can only reestablish with change in channel

Newtonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
My home WiFi is supplied by a TP Link router that I use as an access point.
(Verizon's own router has subpar wifi strength, so I've turned off the wifi from the Verizon router altogether.)_

From time to time, some of my 2.4GHz devices will lose wifi connection.
When it happens, it will fail to the wifi even with the correct password.
Through trial and error, I've found that the device will reestablish connection, only after I change the 2.4Ghz channel. For example, from channel 11 to channel 6.

What's going on here?

Solution
I believe there is a MAC app to do this, but I use windows and can't remember what it's called.

The reason there's no iOS app is because apple uses a chip for their GPS and WIFI as asics which are a black box to app developers. They don't offer specific data used inside the chips, but rather just the end result data that pushes out to the apps. They don't offer low level insight into what's happening behind the scenes.

Newtonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
2.4ghz is heavily congested, especially if you live in an apartment building. I would run an analysis of the wifi in your building. There are android apps to do this.
I've wanted to run an analysis too
It looks like there are android apps that can analyze each wifi network based on the SSID and its channel, but I've not been able to found one on the Apple App Store.
Maybe it's Apple's policy not to allow their devices to be used in this manner.
Are you aware of any Mac or iOS app that can perform wifi analysis?

I believe there is a MAC app to do this, but I use windows and can't remember what it's called.

The reason there's no iOS app is because apple uses a chip for their GPS and WIFI as asics which are a black box to app developers. They don't offer specific data used inside the chips, but rather just the end result data that pushes out to the apps. They don't offer low level insight into what's happening behind the scenes.

Solution