Weird smell coming from computer, is it my GPU or my PSU?

BTDM

Reputable
May 4, 2014
I was recently playing a game, Diablo 3, and noticed that there was this weird smell coming from my computer. I didn't think much about it until my computer completely shut off. I immediately thought it was the video card, because I have had problems with it in the past. So I turned it back on, and began to play the game again. I was able to play for another 15min until it happened again. I never happened before I installed reaper of souls.
I thought it was over heating so I did some cleaning with canned air, and let the computer sit off for about an hour. I also replaced one of the fans thinking it might help. I downloaded, GPU-Z and it says my dinky AMD Radeon 6800HD runs at 39c when idle, 57c while playing something like World of Warcraft/Diablo 3 and 42-47c if I'm on Youtube.
I went about two months before it happened, again while playing Diablo 3. (It hasn't done it on any other game, just FYI) That was two weeks ago and I haven't played it since in fear it will happen again. Yesterday, I was just browsing the web and the smell came back, so I loaded up GPU-Z thinking it was about to over heat and it showed me sitting at 42c. I left GPU-Z open for about three hours while I was using my computer and it never spiked past 50c. I left my computer on overnight and the smell was even more pungent then when I went to bed. Before it was just while I was playing a game and it would stop when I was done, now it's constant.
So I started to abandon the idea that it was my video card and my mind went to power supply. I put my hand by the rear vent and tried to push some of its air near my face and it came back smelling like really hot electronics. It's a Xion 700w that came with this PC. (This one does not have a fan, but the reviews of the same type of PSU on newegg show it as a rather shotty PSU, even with a fan.)
So my question is this, what should I be replacing, my video card or my PSU? I don't have a lot of knowledge with this sort of thing anymore. I've been out of the PC building game for 5 or so years and could really use the help.

Solution
Personally, I think it would be a VERY good idea to swap power supplies, it sounds like the existing unit has overheated and is probably damaged, functional, yes, but damaged.
And as a point of alarm: This type of cheap PSU has been know to kill the entire system when it fails so I'd change it ASAP.

PsychSC2

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Basing on what you said, the smell came from the PSU so that means the PSU is the problem. I don't really know that PSU Brand but basing it on Newegg, it has a 2 star rating. I would recommend you to change your PSU to a Seasonic 700W or Silverstone 700W PSU. :/ Just to be safe and don't try to further use that PSU, it might ruin some of your other components. Try not to risk it.

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
Dude, Never use bundled PSU that came with your case! Just because it says 700W on the cover doesn't mean it's capable of holding out 700W, Get a PSU from CORSAIR, ANTEC or COOLER MASTER. What is your CPU? so i can calculate the PSU wattage you need.

BTDM

Reputable
May 4, 2014

Core i7 960 3.20ghz

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014

Get a 550W-650W PSU

e.g
Corsair CX600M
Antec HCG-620M
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2

BTDM

Reputable
May 4, 2014

I did actually, and the smell went away for almost a day. But when came home today and started playing WoW, it came back about an hour into my session. I literally just did a nose check and there is almost no smell coming from my computer now. On a scale of 1-10, it's about 1.5.

Personally, I think it would be a VERY good idea to swap power supplies, it sounds like the existing unit has overheated and is probably damaged, functional, yes, but damaged.
And as a point of alarm: This type of cheap PSU has been know to kill the entire system when it fails so I'd change it ASAP.

Solution

BTDM

Reputable
May 4, 2014

I am looking at a Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 - 620W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification. I have a 700w (well it says that, who knows if its actually running at that.) but me dropping 80w to the 620w should be ok?