[SOLVED] weird smell from new PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Today i received my new EVGA BQ 650W, and it has a really weird plastic smell, like chemical, is that okay ? or should i return it ?

Solution
Today i received my new EVGA BQ 650W, and it has a really weird plastic smell, like chemical, is that okay ? or should i return it ?

Probably perfectly fine. Normal for new PSUs. It's the no-clean flux burning off.

If they used rosin flux, they'd have to clean it and that's when you get PCBs that smell like rubbing alcohol. :D

Ralston18

Titan
Tough call:

Any smoke, sense of heat, any system problems, or unusual behavior?

Were you gaming or otherwise running software with intensive graphics and the corresponding GPU power demands?

Can you see the new PSU (is the computer case still open)?

Did you use the cables that came with the EVGA BQ 650W PSU versus and cables from the previous PSU?

New electronics are likely to have just a bit of odor when first turned on and heated up.

The problem should not continue barring some defect or improper power connection.

Do not, under any circumstances, do anything while the PSU is powered on and do not make any attempts to open the PSU.

At best power down, unplug, let the PSU cool and use a bright flashlight to peek inside as best you can.

Look for signs of damage, browning and/or blackened components, swollen components, melting anywhere - especially on wire insulation.

Check all external cables and plugs in the same manner.

If all seems well and the smell goes away then the PSU is likely okay.

But until you are sure about that I would not leave the PSU/computer running unattended.

If the smell continues, gets stronger, changes, or if other things start happening then return the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS