[SOLVED] Weird Smell psu oil

Aug 11, 2020
So i recently bought a 600w 80+ evga psu ,after i opened it i noticed a smeel which was like oil coming from the cables and a similar but not same smell coming from the psu itself, mind you I haven't tested it yet because im waiting for other parts just wanted to know if the smell is bad and what is it? Also the cables look like they have some oil texture that is a little bit dry.

Solution
Hey man, nah i just wanted to open it to see how it looks since is my first time building a pc, Im getting an amd ryzen 5 3600, b450 tomahawk max, 8x2gb ram g.skill rip jaws v, gtx 1650 super, 250gb ssd crucial mx500, 2tb seatage hdd, and a 144hz monitor which is the zowiexl2411p. Im planning on playing 1080p since i been playing at 720 on my laptop which i regret buying because at the time i couldn't buy a pc because of the space and lets just say this laptop has a gt920mx and i5 7200u and at the time which was 2017 i bought it for $750, yes i know is something i really regret every single day. Will mostly be playing medium-high graphics just because i want to have at least 200fps constant. I mostly play overwatch, csgo, and...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
was just worried, but thanks man
You had time on yoru hands to dismantle a brand new PSU to smell it? I sure hope your parts arrive quickly so you can build your system and enjoy it. You can share what parts you got that your waiting for. Also is that a bronze 80+ rating old Gold 80+ rating. Either way you should be ok however I don't think I would put a 3080Ti or a 3090Ti on it or the new Titan on it. However for 10xx and 20xx you should be fine and 650watts is the sweet spot for the future however these new nVidia cards take up a ton of power compared to 20xx series. This is partly due to the blazing fast GDDR6x VRAM on the board and more of it. Also the GPU is a overhaul and all this means you get 30 percent to 50 percent more powerful card. Are they 4k ready for someone who plays at 2k without AA settings maxed and and turned on I say no. At 4k it will not hang with the newer AAA titles to give you that 144Hz to match the monitor. Now yes you will get even 180FPS but that is rare at 4k with the new 30xx cards with all settings turned on and all nVidia settings maxed out. Also 4k is great for a desktop monitor but for gaming things get to small plus you lose frame rate so the best gaming resolution as of 2020 is 2340x1440p which is 2k resolution with all AA and MSAA and nVidia options turned on and game settings to highest or Ultra high you will get no jaggies and things will look smooth and bigger then 4k but not a difference some can tell. If you have a gaming monitor at 144hz and want to game at 4k per if you have a 4k monitor with 144hz which is rare and costs a lot more then a TV easily by far. Also then you can spend 2200 dollars for a video card and get a 3090Ti then maybe 4k is a reality at that point. You pay 2200 for a video card another 1500 on a new rig and 1000 thousand to 3000 thousand on a 27" 4k monitor at 144hz while people with PS5 consoles get all the jazz you have at 4k on a 4k TV that didn't cost 2000k dollars. Good Luck 💯

Reactions: juandaone1
Aug 11, 2020
You had time on yoru hands to dismantle a brand new PSU to smell it? I sure hope your parts arrive quickly so you can build your system and enjoy it. You can share what parts you got that your waiting for. Also is that a bronze 80+ rating old Gold 80+ rating. Either way you should be ok however I don't think I would put a 3080Ti or a 3090Ti on it or the new Titan on it. However for 10xx and 20xx you should be fine and 650watts is the sweet spot for the future however these new nVidia cards take up a ton of power compared to 20xx series. This is partly due to the blazing fast GDDR6x VRAM on the board and more of it. Also the GPU is a overhaul and all this means you get 30 percent to 50 percent more powerful card. Are they 4k ready for someone who plays at 2k without AA settings maxed and and turned on I say no. At 4k it will not hang with the newer AAA titles to give you that 144Hz to match the monitor. Now yes you will get even 180FPS but that is rare at 4k with the new 30xx cards with all settings turned on and all nVidia settings maxed out. Also 4k is great for a desktop monitor but for gaming things get to small plus you lose frame rate so the best gaming resolution as of 2020 is 2340x1440p which is 2k resolution with all AA and MSAA and nVidia options turned on and game settings to highest or Ultra high you will get no jaggies and things will look smooth and bigger then 4k but not a difference some can tell. If you have a gaming monitor at 144hz and want to game at 4k per if you have a 4k monitor with 144hz which is rare and costs a lot more then a TV easily by far. Also then you can spend 2200 dollars for a video card and get a 3090Ti then maybe 4k is a reality at that point. You pay 2200 for a video card another 1500 on a new rig and 1000 thousand to 3000 thousand on a 27" 4k monitor at 144hz while people with PS5 consoles get all the jazz you have at 4k on a 4k TV that didn't cost 2000k dollars. Good Luck 💯
Hey man, nah i just wanted to open it to see how it looks since is my first time building a pc, Im getting an amd ryzen 5 3600, b450 tomahawk max, 8x2gb ram g.skill rip jaws v, gtx 1650 super, 250gb ssd crucial mx500, 2tb seatage hdd, and a 144hz monitor which is the zowiexl2411p. Im planning on playing 1080p since i been playing at 720 on my laptop which i regret buying because at the time i couldn't buy a pc because of the space and lets just say this laptop has a gt920mx and i5 7200u and at the time which was 2017 i bought it for $750, yes i know is something i really regret every single day. Will mostly be playing medium-high graphics just because i want to have at least 200fps constant. I mostly play overwatch, csgo, and valorant. But i had a quick question because i been searching up online and heard that connecting too many fans into different sys-fan is bad. Just wanted to know since im not going to buy a splitter, am i good if i connect my 4 case fans to the 4 sys_fans?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey man, nah i just wanted to open it to see how it looks since is my first time building a pc, Im getting an amd ryzen 5 3600, b450 tomahawk max, 8x2gb ram g.skill rip jaws v, gtx 1650 super, 250gb ssd crucial mx500, 2tb seatage hdd, and a 144hz monitor which is the zowiexl2411p. Im planning on playing 1080p since i been playing at 720 on my laptop which i regret buying because at the time i couldn't buy a pc because of the space and lets just say this laptop has a gt920mx and i5 7200u and at the time which was 2017 i bought it for $750, yes i know is something i really regret every single day. Will mostly be playing medium-high graphics just because i want to have at least 200fps constant. I mostly play overwatch, csgo, and valorant. But i had a quick question because i been searching up online and heard that connecting too many fans into different sys-fan is bad. Just wanted to know since im not going to buy a splitter, am i good if i connect my 4 case fans to the 4 sys_fans?
Hey my friend I didn't mean to insult you or be harsh or negative. I care for you and your new rig that is all. Opening up a brand new PSU is not smart but thank goodness you didn't botch anything doing so. So it is over it is closed again as for smell that is a good smell that tells you it is quality and cleaned and good components and what not. That is a nice system 16GB of RAM is the bare minimum now a days with WIndows 10 and you have a SSD which you want your games to be in. Use the HDD for backup purposes. Games on HD maps will load slow and you might get stutters and what not. So you have a good system the 1650 super is no slouch. You will get over 100fps in AAA titles depening if your using AA methods and turned upt he dials on nVidia panel settings. Even doing all this and putting game to medium to high settings you will get a solid 1080p 60fps experience, however a 144hz monitor wouldn't hurt as your frame rates will jump at certain areas of the game depending on the game. TLDR

A For example if you play CS:GO and what not then expect the smoothest gaming experience with 144hz monitor and 300fps lol. A lot of other games will run smooth as silk having a 60hz or 144hz monitor. This is the magic card for 1080p all nvidia panels on and medium to high settings in game. If you have any questions building the new box let me know Im here for you. Also you will need to update the BIOS firmware unless its a newer AB450 board and comes already with a newer BIOS that supports the 3600 AMD CPU.

You did a great job at pairing and you have no bottlenecks so great job with that. Oh I see you do have a 144hz monitor so ya depending on game you will get that 144hz but there will be drops to 80fps and 100fps and what not. However if you can just stay at 60fps without droping a single frame then the 144hz monitor will thank you with the g-sync or freesync that you use and provide a smooth experience no matter what AAA titles you play. Good luck my friend. 💯🙏🏽

Solution
Aug 11, 2020
Hey my friend I didn't mean to insult you or be harsh or negative. I care for you and your new rig that is all. Opening up a brand new PSU is not smart but thank goodness you didn't botch anything doing so. So it is over it is closed again as for smell that is a good smell that tells you it is quality and cleaned and good components and what not. That is a nice system 16GB of RAM is the bare minimum now a days with WIndows 10 and you have a SSD which you want your games to be in. Use the HDD for backup purposes. Games on HD maps will load slow and you might get stutters and what not. So you have a good system the 1650 super is no slouch. You will get over 100fps in AAA titles depening if your using AA methods and turned upt he dials on nVidia panel settings. Even doing all this and putting game to medium to high settings you will get a solid 1080p 60fps experience, however a 144hz monitor wouldn't hurt as your frame rates will jump at certain areas of the game depending on the game. TLDR

A For example if you play CS:GO and what not then expect the smoothest gaming experience with 144hz monitor and 300fps lol. A lot of other games will run smooth as silk having a 60hz or 144hz monitor. This is the magic card for 1080p all nvidia panels on and medium to high settings in game. If you have any questions building the new box let me know Im here for you. Also you will need to update the BIOS firmware unless its a newer AB450 board and comes already with a newer BIOS that supports the 3600 AMD CPU.

You did a great job at pairing and you have no bottlenecks so great job with that. Oh I see you do have a 144hz monitor so ya depending on game you will get that 144hz but there will be drops to 80fps and 100fps and what not. However if you can just stay at 60fps without droping a single frame then the 144hz monitor will thank you with the g-sync or freesync that you use and provide a smooth experience no matter what AAA titles you play. Good luck my friend. 💯🙏🏽
No worries man, wasn't offended at all just being nervouus since is my first build. Im getting the rest of the parts tomorrow and ill keep you updated a week after playing, but thanks for the information was also worried about bottlenecking but feel better now.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
is okay bro, just built my pc, everything seems good. The only thing that is weird is that the stock cooler is really loud when im on the desktop the speed is usually 1660rpm
That's great news my friend. Good job building it and being successful in one shot. At 1600rpm that fan can get super loud at average 80db. Go into your BIOS you should have Smart Fan or Fan settings Curve. Set the curve to start at 800rpm and adjust it accordingly as temps go higher you increase the fan speed. So you can set it to something like 75c 1200rpm and 85c 1600rpm. But once you set this up to 60c at 800rpm the noise will go away and you will be set. 🤞😷✝

Aug 11, 2020
t
That's great news my friend. Good job building it and being successful in one shot. At 1600rpm that fan can get super loud at average 80db. Go into your BIOS you should have Smart Fan or Fan settings Curve. Set the curve to start at 800rpm and adjust it accordingly as temps go higher you increase the fan speed. So you can set it to something like 75c 1200rpm and 85c 1600rpm. But once you set this up to 60c at 800rpm the noise will go away and you will be set. 🤞😷✝
thanks man, i will be doing that right now because is really loud. I appreciate your help.