[SOLVED] Weird snoring-like sounds??

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
There is a weird snoring-like sound coming from my PC. At first I thought it was the fans making the sound, but I checked every one of them, and it turns out its not. I figured that it might be my AIO, so I sent an email to the store where I bought it from and they just replaced it for me without really answering my question. I put the new AIO in the same location as the last. I wanted to mount it at the top of the case, but there wasn't room for it, so I had to mount it at the front with the tubes coming out at the top. I know this setup isn't ideal, but is the AIO making the weird sound, and is there any way to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
When you say snore is it intermittent? AIO trapped air is more of a constant gurgling sound than a "snore". I would still suspect a fan from your description. They will growl intermittently when a bearing starts to get loose that kind of sounds like snoring. They can be hard to find with the case open though because cooling temps change with the panel removed and it usually only happens at a given rpm at certain load conditions. Try bumping up your fan rpms and see if it stops (or gets worse, problem found). From my experience it is usually one of the bigger chassis fans doing it. If it does stop then set them back to normal and unplug one chassis fan at a time until the noise stops. Do not unplug any of your CPU cooling stuff...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The sound is likely caused by the air that is present in the cooler and the gap it creates within the closed loop cooling system. The loop itself is not filled 100% full.

Changing the radiator orientation may help. Looks like you would need to move your fans from the top to attempt this.

Also, are the fans on the front of your rad acting as intake or exhaust fans?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
The sound is likely caused by the air that is present in the cooler and the gap it creates within the closed loop cooling system. The loop itself is not filled 100% full.

Changing the radiator orientation may help. Looks like you would need to move your fans from the top to attempt this.

Also, are the fans on the front of your rad acting as intake or exhaust fans?

The fans in front are intake.
I want to mount the rad at the top of the case, but there is not enough room for the rad and fans because of the motherboard.

jasonf2

Distinguished
When you say snore is it intermittent? AIO trapped air is more of a constant gurgling sound than a "snore". I would still suspect a fan from your description. They will growl intermittently when a bearing starts to get loose that kind of sounds like snoring. They can be hard to find with the case open though because cooling temps change with the panel removed and it usually only happens at a given rpm at certain load conditions. Try bumping up your fan rpms and see if it stops (or gets worse, problem found). From my experience it is usually one of the bigger chassis fans doing it. If it does stop then set them back to normal and unplug one chassis fan at a time until the noise stops. Do not unplug any of your CPU cooling stuff, just chassis fans. If the chassis fans all clear then adjust the cpu cooling up and down individually to find the bad cooler fan. Like I said before it is usually one of the big chassis fans. Something about the larger fan inertia can get a vibration going when the bearing system loosens up.

Solution