[SOLVED] Weird sound coming from PSU. Coil whine or fan issue?

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
My Corsair CX550 has been doing this weird sound sometimes.
View: https://youtu.be/0o7_4tNcrsQ

If I had to describe it, it's similar to a "vibration" but with electric sounds added onto it.
From what I've read, this is supposed to be coil whine, but since I've had bad bearing PSU fans in the past, I want to be 100% sure.

And no, I can't put my finger onto the fan because it's inside my case, and I would need to dismount it, which would be a pain.

Solution
I can see the fan, and it doesn't seem dusty. Wasn't PSU cleaning too dangerous to be worth it anyways?
If the fan is unbalanced because of a small amount of dirt it might make more noise, taking the cover off a PSU to clean it is the thing that's not recommended because it's dangerous, DON'T DO THIS

However I see no problem with blowing air through one when it's assembled but disconnected from the mains to remove any dust from the fan (I've done it plenty of times myself), just leave it an hour before plunging it back in for any condensation from the compressed air can to eveporate

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I can see the fan, and it doesn't seem dusty. Wasn't PSU cleaning too dangerous to be worth it anyways?
If the fan is unbalanced because of a small amount of dirt it might make more noise, taking the cover off a PSU to clean it is the thing that's not recommended because it's dangerous, DON'T DO THIS

However I see no problem with blowing air through one when it's assembled but disconnected from the mains to remove any dust from the fan (I've done it plenty of times myself), just leave it an hour before plunging it back in for any condensation from the compressed air can to eveporate

Solution

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
It's pretty new. Not even a year since I bought it.
Again, I don't really think it's a faulty PSU because it has performed well all this time, and my PC hasn't crashed or had problems a single time. That's why it would be really weird for this to not be coil whine.

Or the fan is unbalanced because it's unbalanced.

@Dantido : How old is this PSU? Did it just start making this sound or did it make it all along?

since does fan are balance any small part of dust on one blade could leave to sound the other thing does computer is on the floor with carpet under or do you have any pet home loose fur could get in the fans .

Also, cheaper fans, like Yate Loon and DWPH are not balanced at the factory (only a small sampling). They can actually leave the factory with poor balance. As the tool wears out, the fans will gradually go out of balance. But they will continue to use the tool until the imbalance is "caught".