[SOLVED] Weird sound coming out of the pc at random times.

Mar 13, 2021
For last couple of months at random times I've heard a noise coming out of my pc. Recently the same noise happens but it became longer. It reminds me of the sound you hear at shutdown. I managed to record it.
https://voca.ro/1hoU8P8Fz8lZ
It happens pretty randomly so it's very problematic to investigate what it could be. It's not specific to being underload because I even heard it in UEFI. I suspect either a dying fan or a PSU problem. I am connected through an UPS.
Please if anyone has any idea what it could be, help.

Solution
I hear nothing problematic unti 3s
It sounds like the Actuator arm (the needle looking thing )in the HDD is moving.
Do you have a hdd in your system?
Mar 13, 2021
I hear nothing problematic unti 3s
It sounds like the Actuator arm (the needle looking thing )in the HDD is moving.
Do you have a hdd in your system?

That is precisely what I mean, the rest is just fan noise. I do have a 1 TB HDD in my pc, currenly about 3,5 years old. That noise is pretty loud in person though. Can a HDD actually make such a loud noise? Does it indicate that it's dying?

Reactions: Dj0gany

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I never hear anything aside from your fans.

A hard drive will make a pretty distinct bump or click as they start going bad, generally. Sometimes Windows can pick this up with it's tools but something nothing until failure.

Have you ever opened and blown out the dust in this machine?

Mar 13, 2021
Yes, it can make a hearble noise, and no it doesnt mean its dying, its how it works.

Could it be related to the fact that the HDD gets a random request every so often, when it generally is kept unused? IIRC it has started about the time I got myself an NVME SSD.
If so, thank you very much for calming down my worries and I regard this as closed.

Mar 13, 2021
I never hear anything aside from your fans.

A hard drive will make a pretty distinct bump or click as they start going bad, generally. Sometimes Windows can pick this up with it's tools but something nothing until failure.

Have you ever opened and blown out the dust in this machine?

The noise is just before the duration counter goes to 3, a high pitched noise. If you don't hear it might want to crank up the volume.
On closer listen the HDD does make tiny clicks but only when I get my ear up to it. The inside has been cleaned, even recently so there's not a huge amount of dust inside.