Weird speed drops over to under 1/10 with distance below 30ft

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
At the living room there is an Apple router/HDD connected to the modem and it broadcasts internet to the whole apartment, which ain't big. It used to be good, but now it's oscilates like crazy, and these oscilations are kinda long term (over 4, 5 hours of durations), even tho the signal strenght is always shown as EXCELLENT (it's an Alfa wi-fi adapter). The laptop also suffers from the same problem, but if I run speed test on it and gradually move to the living room the speeds go up and up until, from a distance of around 8 feet ut reaches full speed.

I cannot understand why this happens, the rouer is connected VERY near a bunch of power outlets and it gets kinda hot in there sometimes, can that be it? Thanks!

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I wish I had an answer for this, but the rule is when it doubt replace it. I have gone through three different WLAN routers from two different manufacturers in six months they all suck, and Im a CCNA so its not like I dont know how to configure these things. I guess they dont make things they way the used to.