mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Hello, today one of my computers booted up really really slowly, normally it boots for like 5-10 secs. Its on Samsung SSD 860EVO 250GB and today it took like 20-30mins. After I started the windows I was able to log in and type my password but the moment I open file explorer or something of that sort the program window freezes or crashes, stops responding and stays that way. I cannot do ** on it, so I thought maybe the OS got ** or something. I plugged the SSD on another computer just to check it and scan it for any issues just in case, the problem is that the same exact thing happend to my other computer that has never ever had any problems. I plug the ssd in I boot up the computer FROM its own SSD that works perfectly fine (im not trying to boot up from the problematic ssd) with diff windows10 and same thing- try opening file explorer (freezes and says "not responding") the same thing happens for any other programs I try to open. I cannot format it or anything just because the OS simply stops working whenever this SSD is plugged in. I've never had such thing happen to me before and im unsure what to do. Do you guys think this might be a faulty ssd not just broken OS? Because its still in warranty and I could try and return it.

[Moderator edits to remove profanity. Remember this is a family friendly forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If any physical, non-boot connection of the Samsung SSD brings down the host computer then the Samsung SSD is very likely defective.

I.e.; from your original post:

"I cannot format it or anything just because the OS simply stops working whenever this SSD is plugged in."

You might try a USB to SATA adapter and set up the Samsung SSD as an external USB drive.

Might make some of the data directly accessible. Or the SSD scannable...

And Recuva may prove helpful if the SSD can be connected and accessed without crashing the host computer.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

But, remember anything you do may cause further data loss and/or damage.

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Ok but how am I supposed to do diagnose it every OS or computer that has that ssd plugged in stops working and freezes and crashes constantly I cannot do anything while the ssd is plugged in...

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
After fifty tries I managed to open a program without crashing, the computer doesnt read the ssd it cant find it, although its always showing in the BIOS and I can tell its connect because it makes the computer 100x times slower than normal, cant scan it or check it with samsung magician.

Ralston18

Titan
If any physical, non-boot connection of the Samsung SSD brings down the host computer then the Samsung SSD is very likely defective.

I.e.; from your original post:

"I cannot format it or anything just because the OS simply stops working whenever this SSD is plugged in."

You might try a USB to SATA adapter and set up the Samsung SSD as an external USB drive.

Might make some of the data directly accessible. Or the SSD scannable...

And Recuva may prove helpful if the SSD can be connected and accessed without crashing the host computer.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

But, remember anything you do may cause further data loss and/or damage.

Reactions: mrkirawar
Solution