Question Weird system click after ssd and gpu upgrade

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

I´ve recently upgraded my system ( new gpu , ssd and cooler fan) and i´m hearing a clicking noise that i did not had before.

I always used my hdd ( the only) for OS but now i had moved the OS to the ssd.

The problem is that i periodically hear a clicking noise ( something turning off maybe) , PSU or HDD i don´t know for sure

I´ve set windows settings to never turn off hdd and it stll happens

The same clicking happens when entering in the BIOS and letting the PC idle for a while

The clicking also happens with low activity/idle on pc , it happens around 10 minute mark

I don´t think it happens when actively using the HDD

Both my hdd and ssd are not bad (tested with crystal disk info at least)

It is weird since it happens more than once when i turn on the PC ( even when not using the hdd twice )

I only have games in the HDD now and the hdd is not always in use now

My system is : I5 9400F , RTX 3060 , 16GB RAM DUAL CHANNEL 2666MHZ , 500w PSU , TUF B360 GAMING PLUS

I thought maybe 500w was too low for the rtx but my system is working fine , full 170w gpu draw and not issues, clicks during this time

It mostly happens on idle scenarios

Could it be my HDD or PSU?

Also would windows turn off the primary drive if it was a HDD after no activity? Since i could never hear this when windows was in the hdd

Thanks

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Clicking is many times the sign of a failing hard drive. Unplug the hard drive and see if the noises stop.

You probably do want to upgrade that power supply as soon as possible so that you don’t run too close to the limits.
But i don´t know what does it explain , i just changed parts , it never happened in the old build , it is weird

It could be possible that your psu is having trouble powering everything and the drive can’t get going. But in my experience usually when hard drives begin making those kind of noises they are starting to die. Check into the power supply though and se if you can try a better unit. If the clicking stops you know the hard drive is ok. If clicking continues the hard drive is probably going out.