Question Weird temp difference after changing thermal paste

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
so a couple hours ago i changed my thermal
paste from the stock(that’s comes with the h150i) to some mx5 and after booting and idle’ing for a while i noticed my idle temp had dropped by around 4-5°c compared to before the change, i then ran some stress tests for a couple of minutes and i don’t think it’s normal but i also had higher stress temps? prior to change i used to run idle at about 40°c and under stress about 60°c, now i idle at anywhere between 32-36°c and stress is around 65°c, this is my first time applying my own thermal paste and i went with the “size of a pea” i’m just wondering if something is wrong or if it’s just the thermal paste? just worried incase i accidentally put too much/too little paste on. any support/feedback would be appreciated greatly

D

Deleted member 362816

If you went with a pea size I am sure you are fine on the amount of paste. Possible that you didn't get enough pressure on the mounting bracket? I know the corsair brackets can be temperamental. Worst case just do it again paste is cheap enough and if you remove the block you can see how your pea size amount covered or lack of cover. Tbh I have been in this game along time and the method that I use and like the best overall is wear a rubber glove and just spread the paste evenly on the CPU.

Reactions: Bxzza

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
If you went with a pea size I am sure you are fine on the amount of paste. Possible that you didn't get enough pressure on the mounting bracket? I know the corsair brackets can be temperamental. Worst case just do it again paste is cheap enough and if you remove the block you can see how your pea size amount covered or lack of cover. Tbh I have been in this game along time and the method that I use and like the best overall is wear a rubber glove and just spread the paste evenly on the CPU.

i was going to spread it manually before applying the block, but i read up and apparently its bad to do because it causes air bubbles, also running youtube just now, also running at 50 degrees, which is a decent but higher than it used to run

D

Deleted member 362816

i was going to spread it manually before applying the block, but i read up and apparently its bad to do because it causes air bubbles, also running youtube just now, also running at 50 degrees, which is a decent but higher than it used to run

How to apply paste has been a discussion since I was a kid. I built over 100 pc's last year and I manual spread them all with great results so for me that's what I plan to keep doing.

Bxzza

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
How to apply paste has been a discussion since I was a kid. I built over 100 pc's last year and I manual spread them all with great results so for me that's what I plan to keep doing.

ill wait to hear what some other people say here, but i will 100% keep your technique in mind, depending on what others say i'll probably re-apply or just leave it and see how it goes, thanks for the recommendation!

TRENDING THREADS