Question Weird temp issues with the 7800x3d processor - starts cool, then stays warmer indefinitely until reboot

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I've had this processer about a week and have been monitor temps and I noticed something strange. It's probably not a big deal, but I don't get it.

When the PC boots, the processor idles at 41-43 degrees, pretty much indefinitely. Even with regular usage in browsers, etc.

After I play some games, it will then idle at 54-55 degrees. Even with no games or software running. Even if I close everything and empty as much crap from the taskbar, etc., it has no effect.

Even if I blast the fans to the max, it will only go down about 1-2 degrees at most. This is in a very cold room.

I am cooling it with the Noctua DH-15 and a Fractal Torrent fullsize.

If I reboot the PC, it will go back down to the regular 42-ish degrees and just stay there.

I've never had a processor do this, actually. My other intel processers will always return to their regular idle temps (using Noctua DH-15s).

I am using HWinfo and Core Temp to look at temperatures.

I haven't noticed any instability or performance issues. I was just wondering if this was normal? I am not super worried about it, I was just wondering.

D

Deleted member 2947362

It could be the heat from the graphics card heating up the whole case causing the temps on the CPU to stay higher try taking the side of the case off see if the temp drop back which the should drop at least a bit, My CPU temps stay a bit higher after gaming for a while which is to be expected.

I don't know much about your CPU and what it's normal expected temps are though.

TwistedFury

Distinguished
Hello Mr. Jenkins,

I also have a 3D vCache CPU. The way these chips are designed result in them running hotter than most. They are also inefficient to cool due to said design. Your temps are nothing to worry about!

I've had this processer about a week and have been monitor temps and I noticed something strange. It's probably not a big deal, but I don't get it.

When the PC boots, the processor idles at 41-43 degrees, pretty much indefinitely. Even with regular usage in browsers, etc.

After I play some games, it will then idle at 54-55 degrees. Even with no games or software running. Even if I close everything and empty as much crap from the taskbar, etc., it has no effect.
I've noticed something similarly strange with my 5800X CPU.

After locking my screen for a while (1/2 hour or so) and returning to work I noticed the CPU voltage is now running considerably higher than before. It was running around 1.34V, after it runs around 1.4V. Along with that core temperatures are a bit higher too.

I'm doing everything just as before I locked the screen and stepped away, and I've disabled sleep and hibernation. I'm wondering if with my absence the system kicks off any number of background apps and lets them have free rein. That probably heats up cores enough the algorithm raises voltage a few ticks to maintain stability. So...could something a bit similar be happening after leaving a game?

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I've noticed something similarly strange with my 5800X CPU.

After locking my screen for a while (1/2 hour or so) and returning to work I noticed the CPU voltage is now running considerably higher than before. It was running around 1.34V, after it runs around 1.4V. Along with that core temperatures are a bit higher too.

I'm doing everything just as before I locked the screen and stepped away, and I've disabled sleep and hibernation. I'm wondering if with my absence the system kicks off any number of background apps and lets them have free rein. That probably heats up cores enough the algorithm raises voltage a few ticks to maintain stability. So...could something a bit similar be happening after leaving a game?
It appears it's prolly my GPU. My GPU seems to be heating up during (and after) games, and then the fans eventually just stop spinning and I guess the excess heat just fills up the case.

I prolly need to set the fans to blast all the air out, but the Gigabyte utility doesn't see my 3080ti for some reason. I mean, it did a week ago, but now no longer does. The Gigabyte control center is pure garbage software.

Is there another piece of software that can control my GPU fans?

Is there another piece of software that can control my GPU fans?
Dunno but you might try MSI Afterburner. It works for all mfr's GPU's not just MSI's. It even works for my RX 6800 XT but I use the Radeon Settings software which works pretty well and also gives more control of other GPU features.

One good thing about Afterburner is you can force fan speed updates using Afterburner instead of relying on the on-board fan controller when it's not being responsive to card temperature changes. Because it is software doing it, Afterburner, it can consume some CPU cycles but that's one thing we do have available in abundance on modern high core-count systems.

Last edited:

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
Your temp are high because you do not use aio. Amd says 2x140mm minimum. Air tower can not do the job.
With aio you will have idle temp from 35c to 44c, depends what aio you buy. In gaming you will have with aio from 55c to 77c temp. Again depends what aio you have. Cpu work normal to 89c that starts to trottle. But max temp is anyway 105 Before it shuts down. But do not watch cpu temp, watch hot spot watch cpu die temp and cpu iod. And if you have cheap mother board with 8pin conector your cpu will always heat up. And that is normal. So you need to know cheap motherboard do not offer oc so your temp will be fine. Like that. But still aio is a must. I have in bios idle 26 to 29c, in desktop idle temp with 30 things opened from 34c to 37c. I have gskill 6000mhz cl=30 tridentz 2x32gig. Aorus Master x670e 7800x3d, DeepCool SE 720LS.. it is chepeast aio in the planet and cooles better vs rest aios who are twice more expensive for amd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

I was just wondering if this was normal? I am not super worried about it, I was just wondering.

You're fine.

You can also look at Noctua AM5 offset bars that were recently released. My overall temps dropped 3C with these. My 7950x3D idles around 45-50C and then will idle around 50-55C and I'm also using the NH-D15.

It's higher than my previous 10900k and I don't much care. Normal operating temps are fine... as are stress testing. I was peaking around 77C using AIDA64 stress tests... and peaked at 85C using Furmark CPU burn.

I'm quite happy with those numbers.

Hello Mr. Jenkins,

I also have a 3D vCache CPU. The way these chips are designed result in them running hotter than most. They are also inefficient to cool due to said design. Your temps are nothing to worry about!

Correct.

Your temp are high because you do not use aio. Amd says 2x140mm minimum. Air tower can not do the job.

Air cooler can definitely do the job... mine does and the OP is using the same cooler.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I've got an NH-D15 on my 7950X, but I suspect that if I wanted to run PBO and CPB to the limit, I might get a few more MHz out of a closed loop 360 or 420mm system. As it stands I'm not overclocking RAM or CPU and I'm quite happy with the temperatures.

The somewhat higher maximum dissipation of an overclocked i9-13900K is probably a better candidate for a large water cooled setup. Whether or not you can tell the difference between big air and water (outside of FPS & benchmarks) is a moot point. The choice though is yours.

@MakeSh00t. I don't understand the reasoning behind this statement:

"if you have cheap mother board with 8pin conector [sic} your cpu will always heat up."

I have motherboards with 4-pin, 8-pin and 2 x 8-pin connectors. The CPUs on ALL these motherboards "heat up" regardless of how many black and yellow wires link the PSU to the motherboard. The only time the CPUs don't "heat up" is when they're switched off. Volts x Amps = Watts = heat.

Similarly "So you need to know cheap motherboard do not offer oc".

I have a cheap motherboard with a heavily overclocked Intel G3258 dual core CPU. It was a fun experiment to prove it was possible and the PC is still in regular use.

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
You still do not understand the topic ? x8pin overheats cpu with bad cooler low end cooler low end aio because it is not pro cool. 8x 4x pin is enough to cool x3d chips 8pin 8pin is for 7950x and 7950x3d if you want to overclock stable overclock. U need higher end. We talk about 7800x3d. And u can not oc at all with cheap motherboard. Your cpu will not let you.
Rest of cpus are not same design. It is total different story. Noctua is not made for x3d chips if u want to overclock and to get best temps.7000 x3d chips has 6 different types of temperatures. G3258 you can not compare with new chips.. It is not equal. I am on computer since 1991. And i know what i am saying. If ur statement is true so everyone who was building over 1000 computers has no clue about pcs. Dual quad core core 8 core not same as 8 core cpu with 3dchips.

Last edited:

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
Air cooler can definitely do the job... mine does and the OP is using the same cooler.
Nope it can not do the job for x3d chips. Aio is much better with overclocking. But it is normal to have high temp because amd chips are made to handle high temps intel can handle 13900ks nonstop 100c.

I have AIO my case temp never reaches over 26c. When my cpu and gpu is at max temp my case is very cold. GPU at 300 watts 72c cpu at 90 watts TDP 72c all cores. My case is very cold, outside pushing half cold air it is not even warm it is like climate control.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Nope it can not do the job for x3d chips. Aio is much better with overclocking.

Oh now you throw in the word overclocking.

Still doesn’t matter.

Go ahead and tell me again that my 16 core 7950x3D needs an AIO when I can run AIDA64 cpu stress test and peak at 77C and I can run Furmark cpu burn and peak at 85C and I’ll politely ask you to pass me whatever it is that you’re smoking.

Whatever it is… it’s good stuff. You’re actually explaining it all like you don’t know that the x3D chips use less power and therefore have lower thermals. Educate yourself please. 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
Oh now you throw in the word overclocking.

Still doesn’t matter.

Go ahead and tell me again that my 16 core 7950x3D needs an AIO when I can run AIDA64 cpu stress test and peak at 77C and I can run Furmark cpu burn and peak at 85C and I’ll politely ask you to pass me whatever it is that you’re smoking.

Whatever it is… it’s good stuff. 😂😂
LOOK it needs aio if u want to overclock with good memory kits.. I play rt on battlefield 2042 with Display port from apu 7800x3d to nvidia 3070ti, On freesync premium pro + monitor freesync on 240hz. Battlefield 2042 max temp was 61c cpu. and gpu had only 40 percent max rpm max temp 72c average 69c. My gpu goes to 320 watts max. So tell me you will say my air tower cooler will handle 6000mhz cl=30 XMP kit g skill trident z non neo 2x32GB only memory provides heat 45c and air tower gets from memory temps. 0 logic. my case is still cool. No matter what temp i have from cpu. And system is very quiet. AIO IS need for 7800x3d. otherwise you have no clue about pcs. I use igpu together with nvidia.. So tdp is even higher by cpu. gpu poweer 50 watts cpu power 83 watts.. and i get so low temp. I see you are full of hate. IF i go aida64 test stress test for 2 hours i have 65c average.. What is ur point ? My case is fully closed no mesh filters removed up from case and front of case. I have mesh filter on upper case on aio. And temps are very low. U just use noctua u have money for processor u dont have money for aio 0 logic. And i bet u have cheap case and cheap motherboard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

I stopped reading there.

Your wall of text makes my eyes bleed. Learn how to use paragraphs and proper spelling and punctuation please.

Your claims that the x3D processors require an AIO just show that you are one of many who use an AIO because someone told you to.

Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler on the planet… and you want to tell me that it can’t properly cool an x3D?

Just stop. Educate yourself. Or continue to show your ignorance.Either way… I’m bowing out of this thread.

And i bet u have cheap case and cheap motherboard.

My whole system is cheap. I got it all standing on the corner of I-5 with a cardboard sign saying “want more fps please help.”

Bye now. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
All of AMD's Zen 4 CPUs are difficult to cool due to the IHS and how small the CCDs are getting. No cooler can get around this issue be it air, AIO or custom loop. The 3dvcache CPUs use even less power than the already low, relatively speaking, Zen 4 ones do. Pretty much any good dual tower air cooler is plenty for cooling any of the 3dvcache line. The only two reasons to go AIO/custom for Zen 4 is aesthetic or if you're looking to move the heat source location.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Yes, I know my G3258 is nowhere near as powerful as my 7950X. I was simply pointing out it's possible to overclock a CPU on a cheap motherboard, which you say is impossible.

Many of my PC cases are indeed very cheap. I also have seven Lian Li full tower Aluminium cases for more important systems.

I have no idea what connection you're trying make between overclocking RAM to 6,000MHz and CPU coolers. A CPU water block provides zero cooling for overclocked RAM.

At the very least, a CPU air cooler disturbs air around the memory slots and over the VRMs which can benefit from cooling too.

I prefer big air, you like water. Let's just agree to differ.

Your system is very quiet. My HP servers scream like banshees. Each to their own.

Do you play your music/games at very low volumes, or with the volume turned up to 11 (Spinal Tap) on big 12in speakers in your computer room?

Have fun.😀

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
Yes, I know my G3258 is nowhere near as powerful as my 7950X. I was simply pointing out it's possible to overclock a CPU on a cheap motherboard, which you say is impossible.

Many of my PC cases are indeed very cheap. I also have seven Lian Li full tower Aluminium cases for more important systems.

I have no idea what connection you're trying make between overclocking RAM to 6,000MHz and CPU coolers. A CPU water block provides zero cooling for overclocked RAM.

At the very least, a CPU air cooler disturbs air around the memory slots and over the VRMs which can benefit from cooling too.

Your system is very quiet. My HP servers scream like banshees. Each to their own.

Do you play your music/games at very low volumes, or with the volume turned up to 11 (Spinal Tap) on big 12in speakers in your computer room?

Have f

Have fun.😀
Dude i was air tower since 1991 all the time in 2023 1st time i have aio in my life for ryzen 7000x3d.. It is a must. Not recommended air tower for 7800x3d 7950x3d. And i do not use speakers my wife said to it is so quiet before was so loud when you Play games at RT quality ultra settings.. now it sounds like its in desktop daily use. Understand now what i am saying ? I am on computer 32 years yes from my 9 years of age. At this age i was going to school for hardware software to my 14 years of age. And last pc i had Noctua U12A chromax.black 120mm it was fine. Now memory are 45c 6000mhz cl 30 non neo xmp profile. And my computer case is max 26c with aio and i use on aio closed mesh filter did not take it off like many suggesting its a must for better airflow FALSE>.. it is cold everywhere no heat up it is like climate control.

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
I stopped reading there.

Your wall of text makes my eyes bleed. Learn how to use paragraphs and proper spelling and punctuation please.

Your claims that the x3D processors require an AIO just show that you are one of many who use an AIO because someone told you to.

Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler on the planet… and you want to tell me that it can’t properly cool an x3D?

Just stop. Educate yourself. Or continue to show your ignorance.Either way… I’m bowing out of this thread.

My whole system is cheap. I got it all standing on the corner of I-5 with a cardboard sign saying “want more fps please help.”

Bye now. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
IQ behavior very low gj. I had Noctua U12A chromax.black 120mm NH-U12A chromax.black 1st time in 2023 3 days old pc i use aio it is totaly new pc... Very low very low you have problems go to therapy please do not comment like that AIO IS A MUST FOR X3D. BOT

Last edited:

MakeSh00t

Prominent
Sep 10, 2021
All of AMD's Zen 4 CPUs are difficult to cool due to the IHS and how small the CCDs are getting. No cooler can get around this issue be it air, AIO or custom loop. The 3dvcache CPUs use even less power than the already low, relatively speaking, Zen 4 ones do. Pretty much any good dual tower air cooler is plenty for cooling any of the 3dvcache line. The only two reasons to go AIO/custom for Zen 4 is aesthetic or if you're looking to move the heat source location.
So you say my air tower is better vs aio ? Dude i removed air tower and i use aio now. Not for astetic 1st time in my life i have aio i had Noctua U12A chromax.black 120mm NH-U12A chromax.black and i had more temps than now. My system was very loud with air. now is silent and cool with aio. 32 years i was using air towers in 2023 i have aio my pc is old only 3 days.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Hmm. You say you've been using air towers for 32 years, so you obviously had a far more powerful processor than the 33MHz 80486DX in my 7th computer.

I seem to recall the 486DX dissipated less than 5W and only needed a 40mm X 40mm fan on a miniscule heatsink. That hardly constitutes an "air tower". The 486SX could make do with a passive heatsink and no fan.

What CPUs were you using 32 years ago that needed "air towers"?

As thestryker said, the choice of coolers is as much about aesthetics as it is about cooling. I've seen some stunning rigs with illuminated custom loops. Absolutely beautiful if you like that sort of thing, but they're not my cup of tea.

Live and let live. Each to their own. Build your rig the way that suits you best and don't worry what other people think. They're all idiots 😀

Last edited:

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
When I get home, I'll check my 7950X to see if it exhibits the same behaviour as the OP's rig and try to get this thread back on target. Sorry for the off target distractions.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Right. Getting back to the OP's query about increased temperatures when their computer returns to idling after gaming.

I powered on my 7950X, no CPB, no PBO, Noctua NH-D15 and allowed it to settle down.
CPU temperature measured in Aida64 was 37C. Noctua fans running at 1150rpm, room temp approx 22C.

I then ran the Aida64 stress test. Task Manager showed all 32 cores at 100%,
Wait 5 minutes. CPU temp now 55C, Noctua NH-D15 fans 1400rpm.
Stop Aida64 stress test. Task Manager shows 0% to 2% again.
Wait 10 minutes. CPU temperature slowly drops to 39C. Noctua NH-D15 fans 1150rpm.

I'm not surprised the new idle temperature is 2 degrees higher after the test. The whole case has warmed up from cold.

N.B. I didn't bother running a stress test on the GPU at the same time which would have been more representative of the OP's system.

The next time I run a 10-hour video render which hammers the GPU, I'll repeat the test.

Conclusion: My system is not exhibiting the same raised temperature effect as the OP's.