Weird Temperature Data

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
My Core 2 Duo is giving strange temp readings ... Intel TAT reports it hits over 80c under 100% load - but the machine doesn't shut down, and is stable at all times.

Speed Fan says 53c, 62c under load.

Asus PC Probe is giving readings of 53c idle ... 64c under load.

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro - I tried with the original thermal compound and, replaced it.

All fans seem to be running fine - and it isn't overheating or shutting down.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
My Core 2 Duo is giving strange temp readings ... Intel TAT reports it hits over 80c under 100% load - but the machine doesn't shut down, and is stable at all times.

Speed Fan says 53c, 62c under load.

Asus PC Probe is giving readings of 53c idle ... 64c under load.

I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro - I tried with the original thermal compound and, replaced it.

All fans seem to be running fine - and it isn't overheating or shutting down.

As long as it is running fine, there isn't a big problem for you.
If you are really afraid of that, check the heat-sink.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Could it be a fault sensor on the MB or CPU?

Its just, everything else is running fine - MB is at 30c.

I am wanting to OC, but without real temp measures I am reluctant.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
It says 83c for Core 0, 126c for Core 1 - I'm pretty sure it'd be on fire by that point.

Silicon (a cpu isnt just silicon, but a large percent of it is made of silicon, so its close enough) melts at 1414 °C, i dont think it would burn before that.

anyway, those temps are all wrong, give us your full system specs.

try using core temp, it's fairly accurate.

TAT and CoreTemp pretty much read the same, they are both reading the internal thermal diodes built right into the cores. Those temps are pretty high, so unless there is some sort of problem with the way these values are being read (ie it's not from the motherboard), I would have a careful look at how well your heatsink is seated. Most of the C2D heat problems are related to how well (ie flush) the heatsink sits on the heat spreader. One thing you have going for you is that your not using the stock HSF, those pins are the worst idea ever in the history of ever. I can't say I'm familiar with the retention system AC packages with their coolers for LGA775, but it's gotta be better than stock.

Anyway that's my two cents, hope it helps.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Asus P5LD2 Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6300 (Not OC'd) (using stock cooling, tried Arctic Freezer 7 Pro - no difference)
512MB Ram (extra 512MB coming soon )
ATI Radeon X300 GPU (PCI-E)

I have 2 case fans, aswell as a dual-fan PSU.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Well, those temps cant be right, your system would either be dead, or be shutting itself down constanly (so it doesnt die). Im out of idea's, although it is 3:01 AM where i am right now. :D maybe ill think of something else when i wake up (thats assuming i go to sleep tonight though...)

edit: i checked the mobo you have, the P945 chipset may be screwing with the temps, how i dont know, but it is older and wasnt designed for the C2D, other then that im out of idea's.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I removed the CPU, cleaned off all thermal paste (as well as from the socket grid), now temps are reading correctly - I OC'd to 2.8GHz and installed my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro again.

BIOS reported it was around 38c when turned on, using Intel TAT it said around 50c - during mild load, Speedfan said 40c during the same time ... now during high load, Asus Probe says around 50c.