Weird thing happened installing Windows

g-unit1111

Titan
I was formatting an 80GB hard drive to install Windows 7 Pro on and running a clean format worked fine but after running the Windows install it would quit about 5% in and say there was an exception error. And then I restarted without the Windows disk and it said that the BOOT MGR was missing - what can I do to fix this problem?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/bootmgr-is-missing.htm

That guy has a list full of things to try.

In any event, it sounds like the system is trying to boot from a device it can't boot from. Like it has the hard drive set first in the boot order and with only a partial install it isn't capable of booting correctly, thus the error.

If the CD drive isn't the first boot device, I would make it that.

Otherwise, that link might have some ideas.

- Edit - Where do you work, btw? You can't come up with all these interesting situations with your home environment I am guessing.

g-unit1111

Titan

I work at a small architecture firm - we employ about 50 and have a wide variety of systems on our network ranging from Core 2 Duos all the way up to 1366 and P55 - I'm the only Sandy Bridge build on the network and I'm the only SSD on the network. This system I was setting up came in as a spare machine and it has a PSU with neon green cables. I am not making this up. :lol:

But what happened was I ran the Windows 7 disk and did a full clean format and then it said something about some volumes were in use and couldn't be deleted or something of that nature - I think the hard drive got corrupted somehow in the format. Could that be possible?

you are only using the Ubuntu install to completely nuke all traces of the windows partition,
and to check if the problem is the hardware or the installation media .

Obviously if Ubuntu can format and instal then the issue is with your Win 7 disk

TRENDING THREADS