Question Weird touchpad refresh rate ?

May 16, 2021
i have a gaming laptop with a 144 refresh and lately i'm starting to have this very odd issue with the touchpad losing hz from 144 to 75/80 and staying there until i stop moving the cursor for a few seconds
then happens again randomly again and again.... i'm about ready to reset this pc cause this issue really sucks it makes moving the cursor with the touchpad very unsmooth.

laptop
ROG Strix G731GW
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop information: make, model, hardware specs, and OS information.

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that correspond with the loss of Hz.

Does the problem always occur or, perhaps, when only on battery?

Check Device Manager to determine the current touchpad drivers. Visit the manufacturer's website to manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the touch pad drivers. Or if there is a newer version install the newer version.

May 16, 2021
Update your post to include full laptop information: make, model, hardware specs, and OS information.

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that correspond with the loss of Hz.

Does the problem always occur or, perhaps, when only on battery?

Check Device Manager to determine the current touchpad drivers. Visit the manufacturer's website to manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the touch pad drivers. Or if there is a newer version install the newer version.
yes it always happen randomly also the laptop is mostly plugged in and i tried to uninstall the touchpad driver and still nothing.
can this be a hardware issue? but if it is then why does it happen randomly and sometimes it's fine? like when it happens if i keep using the touchpad the problem never goes away
until i stop using the touchpad for a few seconds it's so bizarre i'm really out of options but to reset win10 and somehow i have a feeling it will still be there...

Ralston18

Titan
Could be some "Perfect Storm" of events. In other words the problem only occurs under some given set of conditions.

Maybe starting with a loose connection that causes loss of power to the touch pad. So the touch pad only works sort of at random. And another factor could be temperature. When warmed up something expands, makes, contact, touch pad works. Cools down, looses contract, does not work.

Then the loss of the touch pad may create other errors or problems that, in turn, determine if recovery is possible. Software that crashes when the touch pad is lost. But only if something else is running.

Were you able to look in Reliability History?

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. (Use both but only one at a time). Get a sense of what laptop resources are being used, when they are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. May take some time and effort to spot a pattern or some set of circumstances that lead to the touch pad failing. And then starts working again.

Reading back, I realized that you mentioned that the touch pad started working again if the cursor was not moved for a few seconds. Is there also a mouse connected to the laptop?

May 16, 2021
the touchpad works it's the polling rate that's the problem since my laptop is 144hz the polling rate should stay at 144hz which it does until suddenly it just drops to around 75hz for whatever reason then unless i stop moving the cursor for like 5sec it just stays at 75hz polling rate.