[SOLVED] Weird Turbo Boost Issue

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi ,so i have a i5 2400 which i pair with GTX 1650 Super ,i know the cpu aint the best but its what i have plus i get 55-60 or maybe even 60+ fps high setting 720p

But the issue i'm facing is i just noticed ,i have a Foxconn H61MXE/-S/-V/-K Motherboard with Turbo Boost enabled in BIOS

But when im gaming ,i enabled CPU Frequency Overlay and noticed the frequency never goes above 3193 MHz
So i tried mining on the CPU to put some extra heavy load on it and checked the frequency it was running at and still 3.19 GHz

I'm really just wondering what could it be ,multiple windows install done but the same as this CPU has a Tubro Boost to 3.40 GHz but noooo it wont go there

Guide me good people

Solution
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.01 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

I had the same problem years ago with my 4790K when I partnered it with an awful motherboard and CPU cooler. Learned my lesson from there.

But yes, like what it says above, you're technically bottlenecked. It's like all wheel drive and ABS - if the surface allows it, the car...

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.01 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

I had the same problem years ago with my 4790K when I partnered it with an awful motherboard and CPU cooler. Learned my lesson from there.

But yes, like what it says above, you're technically bottlenecked. It's like all wheel drive and ABS - if the surface allows it, the car computer will automatically control the spin of your tires so you don't slip and vice versa.

Reactions: Led zeppelin blues
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi ,so i have a i5 2400 which i pair with GTX 1650 Super ,i know the cpu aint the best but its what i have plus i get 55-60 or maybe even 60+ fps high setting 720p

But the issue i'm facing is i just noticed ,i have a Foxconn H61MXE/-S/-V/-K Motherboard with Turbo Boost enabled in BIOS

But when im gaming ,i enabled CPU Frequency Overlay and noticed the frequency never goes above 3193 MHz
So i tried mining on the CPU to put some extra heavy load on it and checked the frequency it was running at and still 3.19 GHz

I'm really just wondering what could it be ,multiple windows install done but the same as this CPU has a Tubro Boost to 3.40 GHz but noooo it wont go there

Guide me good people
100% working as advertised. The 3.4 turbo is only on a single core boost speed, 3.2 is the all core boost speed!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My 4790K ran all cores at 4.7 with Turbo Boost preset on my Z97 before.

But he's got a 2xxx so maybe its very different from what I've experienced
His question was a i5 2400 has nothing to do with your 4790K.

i5 2400 single core boost speed 3.4, 2&3 core boost speed 3.3, 4 core boost speed 3.2.

EDIT sorry for being blunt.

I7 4790K has a natural turbo boost of 4.4 and all core boost of 4.2 You must of changed something in BIOS or enabled a program to Overclock if you did not do it manually.

4200 MHz (4 cores)
4300 MHz (3 cores)
4400 MHz (1 or 2 cores)

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Nice post Zerk 2012..... I want to add to this thread that on some or most motherboards, at least quality ones let you change the Turbo for each active core. So if your boosting to 3.4Ghz on 3 cores you can change this in BIOS and put 3.5Ghz on 3 cores then 3.4Ghz on 4 cores etc. Depends on the motherboard, you should have option in BIOS to do this. Sometimes the TB2 or TB3 raise voltages a bit to high so you can get away with changing that 2 core bost of 3.4Ghz to 3.5Ghz or 3.6Ghz but Im not guaranteeing you stability but it can be done since it is raising the vcore when it boosts and usually its a higher voltage then needed for that speed and that is why you can sorta get away with manually increasing TB for each core and what not, but once again Im not promising stability if you do this.👶✝

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

But yes, like what it says above, you're technically bottlenecked. It's like all wheel drive and ABS - if the surface allows it, the car computer will automatically control the spin of your tires so you don't slip and vice versa.
Hey ,thanks for the reply ,and yes car talk helps better understand :D
thanks

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Try changing CPU minimum state in power options.
If you set it to 100% minimum/ 100%maximum you can have3.2ghz all time boost if I remember correctly.
You will only get 3.4ghz boost on one core maybe 2 for a few seconds. 3 or more cores used will see lower numbers on stock settings.
Thanks ,i was thinking the clock was stuck or something ,i did learn something new today

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Nice post Zerk 2012..... I want to add to this thread that on some or most motherboards, at least quality ones let you change the Turbo for each active core. So if your boosting to 3.4Ghz on 3 cores you can change this in BIOS and put 3.5Ghz on 3 cores then 3.4Ghz on 4 cores etc. Depends on the motherboard, you should have option in BIOS to do this. Sometimes the TB2 or TB3 raise voltages a bit to high so you can get away with changing that 2 core bost of 3.4Ghz to 3.5Ghz or 3.6Ghz but Im not guaranteeing you stability but it can be done since it is raising the vcore when it boosts and usually its a higher voltage then needed for that speed and that is why you can sorta get away with manually increasing TB for each core and what not, but once again Im not promising stability if you do this.👶✝
haha thanks for the warning ,but for now i rather not mess ,just gotta pass 3 months in my estimate and i'll be getting a new baby boy or a girl (not an actual human being ,but a new PC) :D

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
haha thanks for the warning ,but for now i rather not mess ,just gotta pass 3 months in my estimate and i'll be getting a new baby boy or a girl (not an actual human being ,but a new PC) :D
That sounds good my friend. Ya don't stress about this 3 months will pass fast perhaps in January you get a new rig and we are all here for you to help you buy the best rig for your needs at the best price. You just have to tell us your budget in US dollar and well do the rest. Also we would need to know what resolution you play games at and wheter or not you have a gaming monitor or not. All that factors into what video card to buy and even what CPU to buy. For example if you do general stuff on the desktop and use certain apps which we must know about or you want 144fps constant and all that jazz were here for you. So ya you can manually take up your Turbo but don't bother if you know for shure your getting a new Box in december. That new box will hit the spot it will be blazing fast. Anyhow you can always PM me as well or other gurus and mods and we are here for you instantly my friend. Til then keep safe and enjoy the final days with your old rig and what not.💯👶✝👍

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
That sounds good my friend. Ya don't stress about this 3 months will pass fast perhaps in January you get a new rig and we are all here for you to help you buy the best rig for your needs at the best price. You just have to tell us your budget in US dollar and well do the rest. Also we would need to know what resolution you play games at and wheter or not you have a gaming monitor or not. All that factors into what video card to buy and even what CPU to buy. For example if you do general stuff on the desktop and use certain apps which we must know about or you want 144fps constant and all that jazz were here for you. So ya you can manually take up your Turbo but don't bother if you know for shure your getting a new Box in december. That new box will hit the spot it will be blazing fast. Anyhow you can always PM me as well or other gurus and mods and we are here for you instantly my friend. Til then keep safe and enjoy the final days with your old rig and what not.💯👶✝👍
Thank you ,that is so nice of you