Question Weird update message

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
So i was fairly sure i fully uninstalled this after i noticed it got installed. Not even sure when it happened tbh. But this "Chromium" web browser got installed. I uninstalled it via the control panel then went and so i thought removed any other files i could find associated with it. But now, i just got a pop-up that stays prominent on the screen to do a "windows update" but in the small agreement text its something from Chromium. Any ideas how to root out whats causing this?

Ralston18

Titan
Not at all uncommon for bad acting software to do such things.

Go into Task Manager and look in the Startup tab.

You may be able to spot some related/leftover component being launched at startup.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to look for something running that should have been removed.

However, do not immediately start enabling or disabling things without some verification as to what they may be.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
  1. Click on the Start Menu in the Windows taskbar, and search for Folder Options.
  2. Click on Folder Options, and under the View tab. enable Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
  3. Go to Computer/Local Disk (C:)/Users/(your username)/AppData/.
  4. Open the Local and Roaming folders, and if you see a Chromium folder inside either of them, remove it.