Question Weird USB issue on Honor Magicbook Pro ?

Mar 31, 2021
Hi. I've just finished setting up this new Windows 10 laptop, and one of the USB 3.2 ports is behaving strangely. If I plug in my phone, or a (driverless) USB microphone or web camera, I get an error message saying the device malfunctioned and wasn't recognised - usually error code 54 or 43 in Device manager, where there is a yellow exclamation, and it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

If I use the other USB ports, everything works - camera, microphone etc. So, obvious suspicion is a bad USB port. However, if I plug in an external hard drive (Samsung SATA) to the 'bad' port, it works fine.

I have searched and searched for an answer and have tried uninstalling/reinstalling devices and drivers, troubleshooting tool, firewall settings, USB exception settings but no joy. If anyone with more knowhow than me has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them.
Thanks
Andy

Mar 31, 2021
Hi there, many thanks for the response. it's a Honor (Huawei) Magicbook Pro, Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon graphics card, 16GB, model HLYL-WXX9. 256GB SSD. As per your suggestion, I ran SFC, which did detect and repair some files, but did not solve the issue (after a restart). Similarly, DISM ran and successfully completed, but didn’t report any changes made.

USB port still reporting “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). A request for the USB device descriptor failed.” For webcam and microphone which work fine in the other two USB (3.2) ports. My flash drive and (unpowered) external drive work fine in the ‘bad’ port.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Andy