Weird video behavior

Ulfbersark

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I get screens like this when playing a game. My vid card temps are a cool 45c-50c, so I don't think it's that. Plus if I alt tab, and tab back in, everything returns to normal for a while, then i start getting texture sharding over the maps. Eventually sometimes a bsod comes up.

looks like this http://home.comcast.net/~armyguns/videoproblem.jpg

would this designate a memory problem, maybe a northbridge problem?
Just wondering if anyone has any answers to help me designate the problem

thank you

skullcap

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
perhaps your 3d video drivers for your nvidia card are corrupted somehow. When you run 2d apps you have no problems correct? Just when you run 3d enhanced graphics?

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
there used to be a strange issue with the following hardware:

AMD64 procesor
Creative Audigy/Audigy 2
nVidia Video Card
Windows XP

where UT2K4 would do the same thing... the only solution I could find on the net was the remove the sound card and using onboard sound as a troubleshooting step...

this worked for me and helped me narrow it down to my specific setup as being the problem... I recommend trying the same... remove your sound card and try it... i know it sounds strange, but try it anyway... let us know what happens.

Ulfbersark

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
i think I found that it is actually a memory issue.

one of the sticks I use is considerably hotter than the other even at idle state
(dual channel)

is this a sign of bad ram?

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
if they're the same make/model it could be a sign of bad ram, yes... download memtest 86+ and test it... and you're right, the bluescreen can be caused by bad RAM... but the video won't normally cut out that long before Blue screening if it's system RAM... i still think it's your video card, but if it's bluescreening, why not write down the code it's generating so we can give you a better diagnosis... it's a blue screen of death, but it's not without useful information :)

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
sounds like its time to either reseat the heatsink/fan setup or get a new graphics card. A long time ago I had a Ti4600 that was slowly dying, did the same thing, then even started artifacting with the same lines you have when browsing, when it was in dos booting.

I dont think you can do anything, its definately a hardware issue, try getting a new heatsink fan, it may be showing as cool, but perhaps not all of it is cool, is the fan on nicely or is it falling off, check the card if you havent already!

My advice

cheetsy

JG594

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'm having the exact same problem on Company Of Heroes..
Strange graphical behaviour and when I alt-tab or alt-f4 the game it blue screens.....How ever alt-tabbing is not always the time that it happens....some times if a explosion in the game happens a blue screen will occur...
I'm running a 8800 GT on a Asus P5K pro motherboard with a Intel E6850 Core 2 Duo at 3.0ghz

I have the latest drivers and I have re-installed them several times, how ever i'm not convinced that i'm uninstalling them completely each time I get rid of the drivers. Is there a way to remove the files manually?
I think something went wrong when my virus protector picked up a "root kit" in the driver folder and I accidently clicked delete....

JG594

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
After using a driver sweeper and reinstalling the video drivers several times, I'm now convinced that the driver's can not be the problem.
My RAM is perfectly fine.

Looking in event viewer I've been getting strange errors such as:
Unknown error on CMDre 00000001 000000c0 40013cbc 00000004 00000084

I'm running out of ideas as to what the problem is exactly...

JG594

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I've finally fixed my issue.
It was the latest nVidia Drivers...
I found the answer in the 190.38 driver release notes.

"This is not an NVIDIA bug, but rather an application issue.
• GeForce 8800 GT: Company of Heroes DirectX10 ‐ the application crashes when
MSAA is enabled. [346495]
This is a Fraps 2.9.2 issue."