Question WEIRD! Video playback stuttering in both Windows AND Linux (different drives.)

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
This is the weirdest damn thing I've ever seen!

I've been having trouble streaming Live OTA TV on my 64bit Win10 Pro PC using two different USB tuners. The video stutters every few seconds making viewing TV incredibly annoying. I ruled out the tuner by testing it on another PC. I ruled out the antenna by trying another. I ruled out individual USB ports by trying them all. I ruled out the tuner software (WMC-8.5.5) by trying another app (Sage TV9.)

Ordinary downloaded MP4/AVI/MPG video files play just fine. Only video recorded by my own PC stutters.

Gotta be the drive, right? Changed recording target to my fast M.2. Didn't help.

Then the mystery deepened.

I booted into Linux (Ubuntu 20) and was trying to watch streaming live video. It TOO is stuttering! Didn't matter the source. Even Youtube. Iget stuttering video. I have NO problem streaming Internet video from Windows!

Linux is installed to a completely different drive that Windows does not have access to. I wasn't using the USB tuner. The only thing the two OS's have in common is the motherboard and everything plugged into it (CPU/GPU/Memory.)

The ONLY problem I'm having is with video playback. And in Windows, streaming video is just fine (I don't have the TV tuners working in Linux to test them.)

I'm stumped. The most likely culprits... the video card or storage devices... there's no consistency. Streaming playback bad in Linux but good in Windows. They installed completely different drives (Windows on an M.2. Linux on an SSD.)

No other problems. Just video recording/playback. And unfortunately, I don't have another video source to test. There must be a "bottleneck" somewhere. But where? Most obvious would be the HDD, but the OS's don't share it.

Any ideas? TIA.

My hardware (new build just over a month old):

Asus TUF-Gaming-Plus x570 uefi motherboard.
Ryzen-3 3100 PC (NOT overclocked.)
16GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4
nVidia GTX670 x16 card (Ryzen 3100 has no onboard video.)
250gb Samsung Evo 970 M.2 (with 64bit Win10 Pro)
2TB Barracuda HDD for data.
120GB Corsair GT SSD (with Ubuntu 20.04.)

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Quick follow-up.

Recorded video is choppy, so playback may just be showing what was recorded.

Same video card and TV software (and video streaming from Linux) all worked fine when I was still running a slower CPU under Windows 7.

Changing the target drive to my M.2 doesn't help. Could there be a CPU or RAM related reason for choppy recording? Everything else has been ruled out. Those are the only new components shared by both Windows & Linux.

TIA

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS