Question weird virus (?) symptoms, then dell laptop stops charging

Nov 24, 2019
Hello, I have a dell latitude 5280 with a 2TB SSD drive. Very unusual symptoms, your expertise would be appreciated.

Laptop was working ok and charging. Suddenly it slowed down a lot, and typed words appeared slowly. I could not type an address on a browser. Then it stopped charging, either on or off. I turned it off and on. Icons came up very slowly, then message appeared that touchpad files were being deleted.

I suspected a virus. I replaced the drive with an older one, expecting to disinfect the drive separately. But when I turned on the laptop, the same thing happened! Icons came up very slowly, then message appeared that touchpad files were being deleted.

What sort of virus or problem would remain in RAM when drives are changed? And would that damage something in the motherboard to stop the laptop from charging? Is there a way to make the laptop charge again?

First I would get a Linux Live DVD, or make your own on another computer and boot from that in trial mode, no changes to SSD. This will let you know if your hardware is OK. Give this some time, loading an OS into RAM from a DVD is slow. You can manually explore your SSD and look for any unknown files that in "properties" were installed around the time the problems began. There are some antivirus restore discs that boot Linux and do the same thing. You can get online with the Linux disc to get help. There are online virus scanners. Sometimes in Windows Safe Mode (F8) and System Restore can get you going if the problem isn't too bad..
MBAR ( Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit) is a free beta download and can detect things most AV programs miss. You can try the repair tool but if you have a serious rootkit problem format and reinstall the OS may be needed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY