[SOLVED] Weird Whining/Buzzing Noise Coming from PC Tower

Nov 19, 2021
So, about two months ago I started noticing a whining/buzzing noise coming from my tower, and I can't figure out what causes it or where it's coming from. It happens whether I'm running the most demanding game on my PC or running nothing at all. It tends to fade in and out at random, doesn't affect the performance of any programs in any way I've seen, and there don't seem to be any hitches when I open up the performance tab on the task manager. My system specs are:

Windows 10
GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Eight-Core Processor
AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard
Corsair CX750M PSU
Kingston 250 GB SDD
2 TB HDD
16 GB RAM
And I also have a Blu-Ray driver installed

I recorded a video and uploaded it here, though you may need to use headphones or boost your speakers to properly hear it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGINn_Clo8g

Like I said, it doesn't seem to have any tangible effect on my PC or its programs. I can't see any fans that are malfunctioning while it happens, either, so I don't think that's the issue, and what videos I've been able to find of possible sounds don't sound quite the same as this. What I have been able to find is that pressing my hand lightly against the top of the case makes the sound go away, at least for a while. I have a Cooler Master Storm Stryker SE case, though I haven't been able to find much on if that tower has a history of these kinds of issues. Does anyone know what this could be?

Last edited:
Solution
It is either coil whine from the GPU, PSU, or motherboard, or it could also be a fan resonating with the case or other fans. To test set case fans lower and then higher again. Does the noise stay the same at all fan speeds? If yes its most likely coil whine from a part which is basically something you are going to have to deal with. Coil whine usually stems from GPUs and is a lot of the time cause by getting really high FPS like on windows desktop or in game menus. Try setting a FPS limiter the Global section of the Nvidia control panel to your fastest monitors refresh rate (165 hz for example). If this fixes it consider yourself lucky.
It is either coil whine from the GPU, PSU, or motherboard, or it could also be a fan resonating with the case or other fans. To test set case fans lower and then higher again. Does the noise stay the same at all fan speeds? If yes its most likely coil whine from a part which is basically something you are going to have to deal with. Coil whine usually stems from GPUs and is a lot of the time cause by getting really high FPS like on windows desktop or in game menus. Try setting a FPS limiter the Global section of the Nvidia control panel to your fastest monitors refresh rate (165 hz for example). If this fixes it consider yourself lucky.

Solution