Weirdest PC freezes

Ahmead Alani

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I don't know where to start, it's frustrating!
Well i have some knowledge about a PC freezing because i had a laptop that randomly froze, and I spent hours researching this matter, it turned out to be a RAM issue, got it fixed.
Now i own my custom build machine
AMD Fx-8350 4.0GHz
MSI GTX 770
8 GB (2x4GB) of Kingston RAM
a 750W 80+ bronze power supply
Western Digital 1 TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 : this issue only occurred when i upgraded to Windows 10
Now my PC RANDOMLY freezes (sometimes when i load a game, sometimes when i browse, sometimes when i am on skype, one time when i left the PC with nothing on but the Desktop i came back and it was frozen) and make some sort of a buzzing sound (if i had any audio playing) and i am not able to determine the issue.
So my first thoughts were "overheating", i put my GPU and CPU under an hour of stress test, the PC didn't freeze.
I thought it was RAM, i booted Memtest86 and waited for 9 hours with no errors, then i tested each memory stick for 8 hours each, no errors.
i thought it was hard drive, again tests came out clean.
VERY RARELY the PC freezes and shuts down, so i thought it might be the power supply, i put my GPU (300W Max) under 100% power consumption for 2 hours, nothing happened.
After all of that i accidentally removed my external hard drive while the PC was frozen, it magically un-froze, and i check the event viewer it said something about Nvidia driver stopped responding and recovered, i had an empty USB to plug it/out in whenever the PC freezes and it rarely worked.
I checked the internet and some people were advised to add (tdrDelay) to the registry, now my magical USB method rarely FAILS, and the event viewer shows nothing about any driver failed whatsoever, so it still freezes and i have to force restart my PC, and lose some work. (it's a gaming rig, but i do 3d design for fun and it's frustrating to lose your work, if you forgot to save)
sorry for the long talk, but i have to tell you everything you need to know :)

Solution
Try these:
1st. CHKDSK c: /R
It might have to reboot your computer and may run for a long time depending on what kinda shape your drive is in...

2nd. Try using DDU to get rid of your nvidia drivers then download the newest drivers from nvidia.

DDU Link:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3rd. Change USB power settings in your power profile. Also try changing the BIOS USB settings to add or remove legacy support.

4th. Settings >Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC
(It's not a reboot, it's a re-installation of windows 10 with the option of a format first)

OR

Alternatively you can roll back to your previous OS:
Settings >Update and Security > Recovery

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Make sure all your hardware is using updated Drivers. Specifically the AMD CPU drivers and graphics drivers. New windows 10 updates were released for most drivers for the new OS support. Also check to see if there are any BIOS updates for your MOBO.

If you still cannot fix the issue with all drivers updated. Try the rollback feature in Windows 10 to send you back to your old OS configuration. If that fixes your freezing. Windows 10 is your problem and could be a known bug that is currently being worked on (maybe). If it keeps freezing after a roll back then its not the OS and would be a hardware issue. Of some kind.

Ahmead Alani

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
All my hardware drivers are up to date, but i still want Windows 10, is there any way to identify the cause of this problem???
forgot to mention, it's more likely to freeze when i tab in or out from a game... it just froze and shutdown when i tabbed out of Thief

Try these:
1st. CHKDSK c: /R
It might have to reboot your computer and may run for a long time depending on what kinda shape your drive is in...

2nd. Try using DDU to get rid of your nvidia drivers then download the newest drivers from nvidia.

DDU Link:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3rd. Change USB power settings in your power profile. Also try changing the BIOS USB settings to add or remove legacy support.

4th. Settings >Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC
(It's not a reboot, it's a re-installation of windows 10 with the option of a format first)

OR

Alternatively you can roll back to your previous OS:
Settings >Update and Security > Recovery

Solution

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Even if its an OS issue, you wont be out of Windows 10 forever. It could be a known bug/issue being worked on by MS. Check their known issues and bug reports forums to see if this is a known issue being worked on. They provide frequent patches and updates to fix issues like this regularly. So do hardware makers. Win 10 is a new OS and is bound to have hiccups early on.