Question Weirdest PC issue ever, in desperate need of help

Apr 17, 2021
Hey!

I bought a prebuilt PC almost a year ago now & I've been experiencing a really weird issue & can't find any thread online talking about it:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A
PSU: corsair VS550

Couple months ago it started totally refusing to turn on during the mornings (literally only from 4 to 12am) the PC generally turns on when I try between 11 & 12 in the morning, wtf is going on? Also maybe worth noting, when it finally turns on the time is always fked up (always set to like 3-4 am while it's 11am+), maybe that's worth mentioning? Because I'm just clueless at this point

I tried using the screwdriver method to bypass the power button thinking that might be the problem but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Please help me I seriously don't know what to do & I can't just keep the PC on every night, probably not good for it on the long run lol...

Also if I send it to the store I bought it from I'm just gonna end up not able to work at all until the PC comes back, when it comes back 😕.

Any ideas on how to fix this please? I read in a thread someone that replaced the 24-pin ATX cable but that's probably not the issue here, legit couldn't find anyone experiencing this exact same issue (time related turn on)

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Dont mix psu cables, you gonna make magic smoke. When posable, check for a bios update, but it seems to be a psu or mobo problem. The time problem is a flat batery, get new one and replace, i think its a 2032, check on the bat for number. Do you have a diffrent psu u can test or borrow from a friend. Give us the full system specs so that we have more info to go on

Since this behaviour is predictable in term of day hours, I strongly suspect there are problems with the electrical system that your house/apartment/building is connected to.

I'd ask an electrician to measure the voltage quality over time so you can complaint to your local electric company. Or maybe there are some electrical installation at your home that are causing this, like heat cables or similar.

Reactions: Jacozeelie
Apr 17, 2021
Dont mix psu cables, you gonna make magic smoke. When posable, check for a bios update, but it seems to be a psu or mobo problem. The time problem is a flat batery, get new one and replace, i think its a 2032, check on the bat for number. Do you have a diffrent psu u can test or borrow from a friend. Give us the full system specs so that we have more info to go on

Yes it is indeed a 2032 & I did get a new CMOS battery but haven't replaced the old one tbh, almost done it & heard such change would affect the warranty on the PC so I ended up just leaving the new battery sitting here in case I'd really need to send the PC for repair to the company I got it from...
+ I really hate accessing the Bios, scared something would go wrong (like PC losing power, something like that) & knowing a CMOS change will require me to go into bios & change stuff in it I'm avoiding it like the plague haha.... I really need to beat that phobia someday XD

hmm I think it is a psu problem try to try another psu in a pc shop or something and see if it works or not, if it does then buy a new psu

thing is if I replace the PSU I'm gonna need to do it at home to check by turning off the PC overnight & then trying the next day. Will definitely get a new one & try it out.

Since this behaviour is predictable in term of day hours, I strongly suspect there are problems with the electrical system that your house/apartment/building is connected to.

I'd ask an electrician to measure the voltage quality over time so you can complaint to your local electric company. Or maybe there are some electrical installation at your home that are causing this, like heat cables or similar.

Interesting, back when this problem happened the first time, I did discover a faulty multi-socket that was causing the power to go down in the whole house, but I did get rid of that socket right away

Also, I turned off the PC tonight & tried to turn it on before the 6-11am period hoping it would turn on right away but it refused to turn on again. That's when I decided to post this thread, & then couple minutes after I posted (a little over 6:00 the PC turned on), I gotta say this is the fastest it ever accepted to turn on after the issue occurs lol.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will def get a new PSU & see if it fixes the issue!

Apr 17, 2021
The only time I shut my computers down is if there is a storm coming though where a loss of power is possible.

Yea since the problem happened I started either only putting it on sleep mode or shut down for 3 hours at max, worried if I give it more rest it wouldn't wanna turn on again for hours xD.