Welcome screen does not appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

I only have one User on my computer without password. I have the Use Welcome
Screen option turned on and it always worked fine. I dont know what happened
but for the past couple days, my welcome screen stop appearing and it just
log on automatically to my account. How do i get my welcome screen back?
This is what i tried:

control panel -> users account -> change the way user log on or off -> Use
Welcome Screen (checked); Use Fast User Switching (checked)

Run -> Control Userpasswords2 -> Users must enter a user name and password
to use this computer (checked)

tn Wrote:
> I only have one User on my computer without password. I have the Use
> Welcome
> Screen option turned on and it always worked fine. I dont know what
> happened
> but for the past couple days, my welcome screen stop appearing and it
> just
> log on automatically to my account. How do i get my welcome screen
> back?
> This is what i tried:
>
> control panel - users account - change the way user log on or off -
> Use
> Welcome Screen (checked); Use Fast User Switching (checked)
>
> Run - Control Userpasswords2 - Users must enter a user name and
> password
> to use this computer (checked)

Try disabling the Fast User Switching feature. Also, try just creating
a second account (even if you are not going to use it) with a password
so that way, you force the Logon screen to appear.

--
Evolution54

Check the registry settings.
Start>Run>Regedit>Ok

Now navigate to the following key:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Spe­cialAccounts\UserList
your user account value may be set to 0 there,change it to 1.

Otherwise you may download and install TweakUI.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

tn wrote:

> I only have one User on my computer without password. I have the Use Welcome
> Screen option turned on and it always worked fine. I dont know what happened
> but for the past couple days, my welcome screen stop appearing and it just
> log on automatically to my account. How do i get my welcome screen back?
> This is what i tried:
>
> control panel -> users account -> change the way user log on or off -> Use
> Welcome Screen (checked); Use Fast User Switching (checked)
>
> Run -> Control Userpasswords2 -> Users must enter a user name and password
> to use this computer (checked)

GoranS

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
And if nothing else helps, just repair your Windows installation.
1. Boot from the original installation media (make sure you have your license key too)
2. Press [Enter] on first prompt screen (DO NOT press [R] here!)
3. Press [F8] to accept EULA
4. Press [R] to start repair process.

This worked for me, I expect there are lots of 'helpful' programs around that alter the logon screen!

use Sysinternals Autoruns and examine tab for Winlogon, if it has an entry like this:
'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TuneUp Software\TuneUp Utilities\WinStyler\tu_logonui.exe'
or similar disable [uncheck] this.

Then use 'Start' 'run' 'regedit' to find this key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon
make a new string value 'UIHost' and set it to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe' this should restore your welcome screen.
make sure your'control panel' 'user accounts' 'change the way users log on or off' has the 'use welcome screen box' ticked.