Info Welcome to the Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 22, 2020
For a Single machine, the loopback IP address is fine as that's the client software looking at the host machine (you could put your current machine ip address in but you'd be doing the same exact thing as the loopback address. So it makes the process pointless.)

The real reason why you'd want to mess with the IP address is if you had multiple computers running F@H and wanted to control them from one system. (Remote Connection/Access F@H called it awhile back).

He's an old video I did demoing it back in 2012

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syou9u9B_aY

(Sorry, never gotten around to fixing the audio issue on this video but it should still show what that the software is able to do.)

Thank you very much warmon

Sure the pc is in a lan but is the only running F@h.

I thought it was better using machine ip address for that reason,
in any way now after reinstalling some time the F@h client I noticed the installation program doesn't ask to install for the current user or for all user. I read onto F@H forum they have an issue about this.
And for this reason I will stop for a while till they resolve this problem and also giving task to all user.

Hoping to being helpfull for covid in near future, I thank you again

Diego

Dec 1, 2019
Im getting pissed off! Ive managed to use 1 time CPU but not GPU. Now it is the other way around - I use GPU but CPU, it is yellow on Ready mode... Bugged client or what? Considering abandon the project as it gets nothing done. Tried all tricks available:
-pick team (chose TomHardware)
-setting on idle check
-messing with cores
-Still nothing besides that now GPU works instead of CPU.
Anyone?

Mar 25, 2020
Due to a number of longstanding chronic issues with the previous threads, we present to you all a brand new thread, stickified with some extra strong adhesives, for our illustrious folding team! You can find the original thread here, which may still be useful, albeit with outdated information.

Welcome to the Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)!

With coronavirus in the air (quite literally), it's time for us all to come together and do our part. Don't just sit at home and twiddle your thumbs during the quarantine, fold for science! With your help, and enough processing power, we can collectively fold proteins and find a cure for the coronavirus. No this isn't science fiction, this is Folding@home!

The Tom's Hardware Community staff has created a new folding@home team for the Tom's Hardware Community. We've included detailed instructions on how to join the Tom's Hardware Folding@home team below. But first, what is folding?

What is Folding@home?
Folding@home is a project started by Stanford University that allows anyone to donate spare processing cycles (from your CPU and GPU) to compute complex calculations in a massive distributed research network. You can learn more about folding@home here.

Among the more well-known diseases that benefit from this research are Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s disease, AIDS, many cancers, and most recently, the novel coronavirus, covid-19. If you’ve ever known anybody who has been afflicted by any of those, then you know how devastating it can be for them and their families. This is your chance to help combat these illnesses and all it takes on your part is leaving the program running while you’re asleep or at work! Every contribution will help in advancing treatments and, hopefully, will eventually lead to cures.

How can I join the Tom's Hardware Folding@home Team?
  1. First head to the official folding@home website and download the correct client based on your OS. Here is a direct link to the download page: https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/
  2. Install the client. If you are windows, clicking advanced will allow you to decide when the software will start. We recommend for you to star the software at login.
  3. Start folding@home!
    hzOCB5M.png
  4. A browser window should automatically open with the client running. Make sure to click the "Set up an identity" bubble before clicking start folding
    D9i9Tcq.png
  5. On the next screen set your name and team number. Make sure to join team 40051. Your name can be anything you wish, but we recommend for you to use your forum username if available. At the time of this writing the passkey generator was not working. The servers are really busy and there are not enough work unit's for all current participants. Some user's have had to wait a day or more for passkeys. To learn more about passkeys, click here.
    bPbAhsZ.png
With this set up in place your computer will provide work units to the team. Keep in mind, closing the browser does not stop folding. Folding is a background process. To stop folding navigate to client.foldingathome.org and click "Stop Folding".
xUZH2Wf.png

FAQ
TO check the team's current stats, and your own, head to http://folding.stanford.edu/Stats.

All these letters are just short type for a full words:

WU = Work Units
PPD = Points per Day
PPW = Point per Watt or Points per Week.
TPF = Time per Frame
WTF! = Way to fold!

• Bonus point is when you turned in WU earlier than what the deadline says and you earn extra points because it.
  • Qualified WU's mean certain WU's that can be turned in early for bonus points.
  • Except for some older Single core CPU WU's and older GPU WU's, All WU are qualified for bonuses.
While the F@H group doesn't "officially support nor oppose overclocking", you can overclock and gain more points.

The catch is however that F@H is more sensitive to instability than most other stress programs will detect. Even if your computer is "Prime 95 stable" for a week straight, it isn't 100% fool-proof on the cpu when it comes to folding.

F@H recommend using these stress programs that closely mimic how F@H run for both your GPU and CPU.

Conclusion
Wow you made it this far?! Kudos to you! Be sure to sign up now for the team. In the coming days there will be an announcement for a friendly competition between this and two other PC hardware focus sites. Stay tuned!

Happy folding :giggle:

This is awesome! Mine has been up for about a week and I've scored almost 300,000.

Reactions: Jsimenhoff
Mar 22, 2020
Im getting pissed off! Ive managed to use 1 time CPU but not GPU. Now it is the other way around - I use GPU but CPU, it is yellow on Ready mode... Bugged client or what? Considering abandon the project as it gets nothing done. Tried all tricks available:
-pick team (chose TomHardware)
-setting on idle check
-messing with cores
-Still nothing besides that now GPU works instead of CPU.
Anyone?

Calm down, just keep your "folding power" at medium or full and eventually work will become available. Also, I think your GPU has much more processing power than your CPU, so it is actually better that only your GPU is working instead of only your CPU :)
If I understand correctly, "on idle" should be UNchecked if you want to fold as much as possible. Ready icon should be teal coloured, not yellow. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

Yup, put in full power. Right click your cpu and hit pause or finish if currently folding.

I have my cpu paused and only run on the gpu.

WU’s are coming out slowly. Have patience. They have seen an incredible amount of people joining and don’t have the staffing to keep up.

I wish the news networks would do a story on what has become available to the research community in a time if dire need. The free processing power available right now is astounding. Never in the history of humanity has so much processing power been seen. And it can go even higher as we are just a few percentage of all the pc’s and consoles in the world.

Dec 1, 2019
Oh, brother...dudes, you DO NOT READ properly. I have said that I have tested all workarounds and I want to USE BOTH CPU AND GPU, only 1 of them is working. Where the Removed did you read "I am using Low/Medium Speed or I dont have WU"??? Do you understand now??? NO? Let me spell it again slowly:
-I used CPU but GPU was standing by (on ready mode)
-After the workaround (Check and UNCHECK "Idle") got working GPU
-Now GPU works but CPU stays on ready mode
-I have work(WU is downloaded) and I AM COMPUTING but only with ONE component.
-Instead of dumb answers, read carefully and make adequate posts.
-I was asking if there is a way to make CPU and GPU work together, not "why there isnt any WU, is GPU better than CPU, or other !"
-Using on MAXIMUM power while I am actually working on the PC (i7 9700K and RTX 2080TI)
As for the computing power I agree we need to unite and help researchers do their jobs, willing to sacrifice power/gaming/operations on PC. That is the reason I am trying to help.
Thank you in advance for carefully thought posts and answers after this one!

Last edited by a moderator:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Oh, brother...dudes, you DO NOT READ properly. I have said that I have tested all workarounds and I want to USE BOTH CPU AND GPU, only 1 of them is working. Where the Removed did you read "I am using Low/Medium Speed or I dont have WU"??? Do you understand now??? NO? Let me spell it again slowly:
-I was asking if there is a way to make CPU and GPU work together, not "why there isnt any WU, is GPU better than CPU, or other!"
-Using on MAXIMUM power while I am actually working on the PC (i7 9700K and RTX 2080TI)
As for the computing power I agree we need to unite and help researchers do their jobs, willing to sacrifice power/gaming/operations on PC. That is the reason I am trying to help.
You do realize that work units are split in cpu-work units and gpu-work units?
A work unit is either one or the other. You only use both if you got a work unit of each sort issued.
Dont embarrass yourself.

Reactions: drivinfast247
-I was asking if there is a way to make CPU and GPU work together, not "why there isnt any WU, is GPU better than CPU, or other !"
Calm down, Francis! You should just forget about F@H and just go back to yelling at people on Fortnite.

Dec 1, 2019
Watch the language
You calm down and you go play your kid games. I do not care. This is supposed to be a support forum, all I see is infants trying to be interesting. My bad, to look for mature people who can actually help. Removed

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
You calm down and you go play your kid games. I do not care. This is supposed to be a support forum, all I see is infants trying to be interesting. My bad, to look for mature people who can actually help. Removed
I answered your question already.
Anything else you need help with in a mature and totally polite conversation?

See ya! No loss here.

We can't help and support you if you don't know how to read. It was posted a few times that Work Units come whenever they're available and most will be for the GPU.

Dec 1, 2019
See ya! No loss here.
Same here. 0 given and total ignore.

I answered your question already.
Anything else you need help with in a mature and totally polite conversation?
As I am embarrarracing or whatever me, trying to help a good cause, MAYBE if you had a little actual knowledge of networking, you could point me to see the logs and see what is wrong. No, wait you actually helped me - in anger - I have checked the logs and it says: "Connection Refused on 8080 port".
As usual the community here is perfect, instead of helping, they are trying to be interesting and funny or whatever suits their kids complexes, provoking dumb unfruitful conversations and I am fixing the problem by myself. Thanks and have good life.

g00dking

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I'm running a 980 Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700. The lowest I've gotten my graphics card to is 138 - 145ish; when I first started it was up to 180!! :O I don't have any water cooling, so I literally just popped off both sides of my case and plugged another large, human-sized fan into the wall, pointed it right into the case...magic XD

also used MSI command center/afterburner to clock up the fans in my system to max.

it took a while for me to receive work orders, i had to leave my system on for a day or so. now it's pluggin along.

I'm running a 980 Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700. The lowest I've gotten my graphics card to is 138 - 145ish; when I first started it was up to 180!! :O I don't have any water cooling, so I literally just popped off both sides of my case and plugged another large, human-sized fan into the wall, pointed it right into the case...magic XD

also used MSI command center/afterburner to clock up the fans in my system to max.

it took a while for me to receive work orders, i had to leave my system on for a day or so. now it's pluggin along.
Thanks for folding and thanks for the laugh!!!
Brought back memories of trying to cool Dual GTX 460s @850 and a Phenom2 X6 @3.6 in a HAF912 case. While folding on all 3.
Insanity????

Yep, it is rough going right now for sure. Thanks to all those hanging in there.

There are new workservers on the way and improvements to the server code, but it is slow going. If you want to keep an eye on how things are going check here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

Whenever you see a very rounded number (3600, 18800, etc.) that most likely means it is pegged at its assign rate limit. So nearly 90k units per hour are going out, but because demand is so high many are sitting idle.

Thanks for folding and thanks for the laugh!!!
Brought back memories of trying to cool Dual GTX 460s @850 and a Phenom2 X6 @3.6 in a HAF912 case. While folding on all 3.
Insanity????

idk.... I dont think you were folding hard enough back then. lol jk. :LOL:

As for everyone else, yes there is a WU shortage and No, there is nothing on the user end that we can do to configure F@H client to pick them up.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33193

Here's a summary of current Folding@Home situation :
  • We know about the work unit shortage
  • It's happening because of an approximately 20x increase in demand
  • We are working on it and hope to have a solution very soon.
  • Keep your machines running, they will eventually fold on their own.
  • Every time we double our server resources, the number of Donors trying to help goes up by a factor of 4, outstripping whatever we do.

So all you can do is leave the client running and wait it out.

w00t! I was thinking about F@H a few weeks back--and then saw the articles on Tom's. installed the clients, cranked everything up to 100%, and have just cracked the top 100 on the team.

Back in the fold baby!

Welcome back to the fold!

Put my old PC to work too. Only has a 1050Ti in it...for now :)

The 2070S eats them up pretty quick.

Curious on how fast can that 2070S complete a WU (on average).

Been out of the loop with F@H for a while so i really only know about the Nvidia GTX 10 series and prior when it comes to performance.

Like I know a GTX 1080 TI is about twice as fast as my 980 TI and it can do a WU in about 2 to 3 hours (if folding 24/7, would be getting 600k to 700k PPD).

So is your 2070S completing a WU every 1 to 2 hours like a 1080ti would or is it a little faster/slower than that?

Mar 30, 2020
THG: Perhaps you can write a story about the hardware on the back end of the Folding at Home project. Not from our client side, but the mother ship back end.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
We've created a Distributed Computing subforum as a one stop place for all related news going forward. Even after the current competition with Anandtech ends, we would still love to help folks work together on common goals, so this new subforum should be helpful for many years to come.