Info Welcome to the Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 29, 2020
Welcome back to the fold!

Curious on how fast can that 2070S complete a WU (on average).

Been out of the loop with F@H for a while so i really only know about the Nvidia GTX 10 series and prior when it comes to performance.

Like I know a GTX 1080 TI is about twice as fast as my 980 TI and it can do a WU in about 2 to 3 hours (if folding 24/7, would be getting 600k to 700k PPD).

So is your 2070S completing a WU every 1 to 2 hours like a 1080ti would or is it a little faster/slower than that?
Thanks!

Some quick math tells me that my 2070s will need 1.68 hours to complete the current work unit.

Question, how are you generating the little graphic that shows folding statistics?

Question, how are you generating the little graphic that shows folding statistics?

Link to our old F@H guide but I'll copy/paste that bit of section here.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...1-guide-march-2020-update.92271/#post-1008170

■5.2 EOC Stat Badge

sigimage.php

Same as the Pico badge as above but give a more simplistic look and has a shorter URL.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/?nav=IMAGES

To get this, first you'll need to grab the URL.

"http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u="

At the end of the URL, you'll need add your EOC ID.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

type in your user name that you use for folding, and select your name with the correct team (if this is your first time folding, should only see your name with 1 team.)

Then on the right side of the screen, you should see a list with stuff like this

” User: 507632
|- User Summary
|- User Overtake
|- User Extra Info
|- User Future”

So after that, your link should look like this.

"http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=507632"

Although you not done yet. If you leave it as is, it will be to large for the sig. (look at other badges and sig for size detail)

sigimage.php

So to shorten it, You'll need to add "&bg=1" at the end of the URL.

sigimage.php

There you have it, you can add it to you sig box, place the (without quotes) ["img] ["/img] and each end of the URL and you should be good to go.

Now you can add color if you want.

sigimage.php

The way you change the color is simple. All you need to do is add "&cX=XXXXXXX" at the end of URL. The Bold X represents the values.

Before the =, that says what you want to change:

c1 = Default Text Color
c2 = Background Body Color
c3 = Background Header Color
c4 = Border Color
c5 = Override Text Rank Colors

And after the =, those are selecting the color. To select the color, you need to know the HEX VALUE of it.

While there many web sites list the Hex values for color, I personally like this one.

http://www.2createawebsite.com/build/hex-colors.html#colorgenerator

You have an interactive tool that can select the color you want and see the exact HEX value for it. (Dont copy the #)

Now you dont have to edit all the colors if you like some of the default. Just only add the values you want to change.

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I recently joined Tom's Hardware F@H, and I'm (Dave_Haynie) doing ok. But let's posit that I might also be doing ok, financially, in this crisis, I support the goals of F@H even when the situation isn't dire, and I'm considering an upgrade to help out the project as my own tiny corner in the universe of the world's fastest supercomputing platform. My current PC will take up to three more GPUs. I'm running an AMD 1950x 16-core CPU and an AMD RX580 GPU. So my questions:
  • What might be the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade, only considering F@H?
  • Are we good with mixed AMD and nVidia in one system?
  • No, I'm not offering a budget, I'd like to know folks experience on this without setting specific cost parameters.

Last edited:
I recently joined Tom's Hardware F@H, and I'm (Dave_Haynie) doing ok. But let's posit that I might also be doing ok, financially, in this crisis, I support the goals of F@H even when the situation isn't dire, and I'm considering an upgrade to help out the project as my own tiny corner in the universe of the world's fastest supercomputing platform. My current PC will take up to three more GPUs. I'm running an AMD 1950x 16-core GPU and an AMD RX580 GPU. So my questions:
  • What might be the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade, only considering F@H?
  • Are we good with mixed AMD and nVidia in one system?
  • No, I'm not offering a budget, I'd like to know folks experience on this without setting specific cost parameters.
To be honest Nvidia cards are the way to go for long term folding.
They have a much better Points Per Day/ watt of electricity used.
Which translates to less heat produced and electricity used. Especially in summer when you are running air conditioning in your home.
You can mix AMD and Nvidia cards in the same system,
More than 2 cards in a regular case becomes a challenge to keep cool and clocks up. So cooling will be your greatest challenge when putting more cards in the same system.

GTX 1070, GTX 2070 cards are the sweet spot for PPP/watt for 24/7/365 folding.

This has been my personal experience over the years. My pair of 1070s are producing 1.2-1.4 million PPD when work units are readily available.

Reactions: Dave Haynie
Agree with everything Unolocogringo said. My only additions are that the 2xxx cards add a significant speed and efficiency improvement over the 1xxx, so if your budget can take it the 2060/2070/2080/Ti variants are all excellent. Also while you can mix cards just remember, the more complicated you make the driver situation, the more likely you are to have driver issues down the road.

Only other note on AMD is that there is currently a driver opencl bug (or non-fault tolerant fahcore, depending on how you want to look at it) that is causing failures on certain size units. So some projects have been restricted to Navi or Nvidia only. A future driver or fahcore revision will fix this, but it is uncertain when that will be.

Reactions: Dave Haynie
Apr 4, 2020
I use to run F@H years ago.

I downloaded last night and it's been folding away! Make sure to get the key too.

I have a 3800x and 2070S in a less than optimized case regarding airflow.

Want to see how good your Ryzen cooling is, then F@H is quite a stress test for heat load.

Join the fight guys. It could save someone you know and love!
Absolutely true. FAH seems to really use all the capabilities of a variety of computers on which I have tried it. I use the points per day as an indicator of computing power. However on my new laptop with GTX 1660, sometimes it uses the internal GPU with the CPU instead and I only get 60,000 PTD rather than 600,000

Apr 4, 2020
To be honest Nvidia cards are the way to go for long term folding.
They have a much better Points Per Day/ watt of electricity used.
Which translates to less heat produced and electricity used. Especially in summer when you are running air conditioning in your home.
You can mix AMD and Nvidia cards in the same system,
More than 2 cards in a regular case becomes a challenge to keep cool and clocks up. So cooling will be your greatest challenge when putting more cards in the same system.

This has been my personal experience over the years. My pair of 1070s are producing 1.2-1.4 million PPD when work units are readily available.
I just put in a ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI Amp with 11 GB and now get about 1,600,00 points per day when it is folding most of which is from the card. I do not overclock or anything fancy. The GPU temp is quite reasonable, but I do not have the data in front of me.

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015

Thanks! The RTX 2070 is hopefully arriving on Friday! And an extra fan, just in case. I chose one that can function as my main or only card, in case the two card lead to some kind of instability. Probably isn't going to hurt video rendering performance, either 🆒

Apr 9, 2020
Hello,
since several days I run foldingathome with always the same problem.
My PC: i7-3770K, Geforce 1080 TI, WIn10 Pro 64bit.
After client installation CPU and GPU are identified and both are used. After some hours the GPU stops calculating and the color switches to yellow and there is no more action at the GPU, while the CPU is still working. If I the restart my PC, the 1080 TI is suddenly an unknown GPU.
I have to uninstall the client with all data and to reinstall the client. After that CPU and GPU are back to working.

I must uninstall and reinstall the client once a day to keep the GPU working.
How can I solve this problem?
Kind regards
kwtcgn

Hello,
since several days I run foldingathome with always the same problem.
My PC: i7-3770K, Geforce 1080 TI, WIn10 Pro 64bit.
After client installation CPU and GPU are identified and both are used. After some hours the GPU stops calculating and the color switches to yellow and there is no more action at the GPU, while the CPU is still working. If I the restart my PC, the 1080 TI is suddenly an unknown GPU.
I have to uninstall the client with all data and to reinstall the client. After that CPU and GPU are back to working.

I must uninstall and reinstall the client once a day to keep the GPU working.
How can I solve this problem?
Kind regards
kwtcgn

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with other things.

Just for clarification, are you using the "Web Control" browser page or the "Advance Control" client when referring to yellow color?

It sounds like it's the web control page. If it is, I do believe it just means your gpu is able to fold but is waiting for a WU from F@H.

Although i don't normally use the web control so i could be wrong on that. What I do normally use is Advance Control so i can see logs and stuff to figure out any issues. Which sadly, the Web Control page doesn't seem to have.

If you haven't open Advance Control before, you can head down to your task bar, right click on the F@H logo, and hit advance control.
qJIRLHx.jpg

It should bring up this window,
kIdyWau.png

Now when the issue comes up again, you'll be able to look in the logs and get a better idea of whats going on.

Although if i had to guess, your current issue is probably related to the WU shortage F@H has currently. (from the massive influx of folders in the past month)

if your logs has an error in it like this one, this it's likely the case.

02:45:58:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
02:45:59⚠WU00:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
02:45:59:ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

If so, then you shouldn't have to be reinstalling F@H just for it to work. Just waiting it out should be fine.

Apr 9, 2020
Hello warmon6,
thank you very much for the explanation. You are right, I looked at the Web Control.
The problem is not related to the WU shortage, as the GPU stops during a running job.
If my system will hang the next time, I will inspect the Advanced View and will make screen shots.
Kind regards
kwtcgn

Can you please tell me, how I can insert a picture from my PC. If I click on the picture button, I can only insert a picture from an internet address

Last edited:
Can you please tell me, how I can insert a picture from my PC. If I click on the picture button, I can only insert a picture from an internet address

To insert a picture on the forum, you'll have to use a separate website like imgur and upload it there. https://imgur.com/

Then you can grab the direct web link of the picture and place that link into the that insert box like you found out.

The problem is not related to the WU shortage, as the GPU stops during a running job.
If my system will hang the next time, I will inspect the Advanced View and will make screen shots.

Yeah if happens again, i'd be curious of what the logs say.

Hopefully we can get your issue resolved.

If not, someone one the F@H support forum should be able to figure it out. https://foldingforum.org/index.php

Mar 29, 2020
Would a Intel NUC 10 be any good for F@H? Current desktop is 8 years old, core i7-2600 and a GT440. Only earns 9-10K points a day when I get WU for the GPU.

Would a Intel NUC 10 be any good for F@H? Current desktop is 8 years old, core i7-2600 and a GT440. Only earns 9-10K points a day when I get WU for the GPU.

Well it wont be super fast but from F@H group perspective, as long as your machine gets the work done before the timeout and expiration date, it's all good for folding.

Just for giggles, the minimum system system requirement for Folding is still an "Intel P4 1.4 GHz processor " for cpu folding if that means anything. (it probably needs to be updated as i have a hard time believing it's still the minimum requirement.)

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/windows/requirements/

Mar 29, 2020
I joined the team but don't see my name listed. Is there a minimum amount of points you need to generate? Only have 90K points so far.
Used to fold on my old Athlon XP rigs, before they were 64 bit. Pretty sure WU were smaller back then.

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
This challenge is now officially concluded. We got soooo close to producing 10 Billion points together! Had it not been for troubles getting tasks (again) these last few days, we could have pulled that off!

On behalf of TeAm AnandTech, thanks for participating, this was a good run! I am glad to see you have a proper forum now. But it makes us nervous knowing you can organize and share knowledge more effectively! :D

Final Stats:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...coronavirus-race-thread.2578326/post-40133726

Last edited:

Pokey_TA

Reputable
Dec 7, 2016
This challenge is now officially concluded. We got soooo close to producing 10 Billion points together! Had it not been for troubles getting tasks (again) these last few days, we could have pulled that off!

On behalf of TeAm AnandTech, thanks for participating, this was a good run! I am glad to see you have a proper forum now. But it makes us nervous knowing you can organize and share knowledge more effectively! :D

Final Stats:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...coronavirus-race-thread.2578326/post-40133726
I would like to echo what Tony said. Maybe next time we can start cross-posting a little sooner and get some comradery going. I think we all were struggling what with the FAH server issues. Keeping an eye on you........ ;)

Reactions: 10esseetony