albert

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

Sometime in the last couple of days all the user accounts (Me, Guest and I
think some .NET thing and an administrator level debugging account I've not
yet touched) have all completely vanished from my welcome screen (both icons
and names all gone). And now XP just puts up the blue screen, with just the
one word "Welcome", for about two seconds and then runs straight on into all
the desktop type setting up stuff (which it seems to do ok because all my
programs have been working ok).

I've looked at Control Panel User Accounts and "use welcome screen" is
definitely checked, as is the "guest" account. I've also looked at the
"control userpasswords2" advice at
ttp://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php and all four accounts are listed
in it, the "users must use names is definitely checked, and the
ctrl-alt-something or other bit is definitely not checked. So, everything is
saying the accounts should be visible.

SP2 installed alright a couple of weeks back, but there was a quite large
Windows update I installed the other day which I think was to do with .NET or
something like that. But postings about it all seem to be on how to correct
the different problem of it actually having stopped people's machines from
auto-starting.

What I would like to do is get my User Accounts back on the Welcome screen.
Any help much appreciated please?

PS: Norton AV, Spybot, Adware and ZoneAlarm say everything is squeaky clean
and Easycleaner says my registry is perfect, so I think it's a not a drop of
poison got in my system or anything like that.

--
:) Albert.

Hi Albert,

Just a WAG, but do you have TweakUI installed? If so, is the autologon in it
enabled?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sometime in the last couple of days all the user accounts (Me, Guest and I
> think some .NET thing and an administrator level debugging account I've
> not
> yet touched) have all completely vanished from my welcome screen (both
> icons
> and names all gone). And now XP just puts up the blue screen, with just
> the
> one word "Welcome", for about two seconds and then runs straight on into
> all
> the desktop type setting up stuff (which it seems to do ok because all my
> programs have been working ok).
>
> I've looked at Control Panel User Accounts and "use welcome screen" is
> definitely checked, as is the "guest" account. I've also looked at the
> "control userpasswords2" advice at
> ttp://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php and all four accounts are
> listed
> in it, the "users must use names is definitely checked, and the
> ctrl-alt-something or other bit is definitely not checked. So, everything
> is
> saying the accounts should be visible.
>
> SP2 installed alright a couple of weeks back, but there was a quite large
> Windows update I installed the other day which I think was to do with .NET
> or
> something like that. But postings about it all seem to be on how to
> correct
> the different problem of it actually having stopped people's machines from
> auto-starting.
>
> What I would like to do is get my User Accounts back on the Welcome
> screen.
> Any help much appreciated please?
>
> PS: Norton AV, Spybot, Adware and ZoneAlarm say everything is squeaky
> clean
> and Easycleaner says my registry is perfect, so I think it's a not a drop
> of
> poison got in my system or anything like that.
>
> --
> :) Albert.

albert

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

Hi Rick.

Yes, got TweakUI and Tweak All, and checked both. In TweakUI the autologon
is definitely not checked and I can't see anything in Tweak All that could
possibly be doing it.

:) Albert.