Well it's time to build another one.....(thanks alot Nvidia)

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
With the release of the 1080/1070 series I think it is time to completely rebuild a new PC to get me through the next couple of years.

I'll start with current system specs then show what my plan is and any advice is welcome as I have been out of the loop for a while just enjoying what I have. I game a bit and vid edit too. Always triple monitors.

Current PC

NZXT Phantom 630 Case (will reuse)
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming mother board
I7-4770k clocked to 4.0
Corsair H100i
16gb Vengeance1600 RAM
2x Zotac GTX 780 amp!s sli (hoping to keep and run to seperate monitor and run a GTX1080 or sli'd 1070s to new monitors)
Corsair RM850 power supply (will reuse)
500gb Samsung Evo (will reuse and Raid0 with another)
2-2TB Barracudas in Raid0 (will reuse as its still a great storage video storage)
1-4TB Barracuda complete backup (will reuse)
3-27" ASUS MX279 1080p monitors (will reuse 2 as peripheral monitors putting a 1440 in the middle and hoping to run the extra monitor on the other side using the sli'd 780 amps. Do a 2 gamers one PC so my son and I can play).
Windows 10 upgrade (love hate relationship with that)

Besides all the fancy fans, CPU water cooler, bla bla bla that's about it. I have 2 DVD players that one will be replaced with Blu-ray. Anyways that's what I'm rocking now. I'm sure I'm missing something (too much coffee!)

New system

I already purchased and have in my hands the Performance GAMING MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition Motherboard.
After a lot of research, this is the one i want. I'm really done tinkering with OCing. I'll just hit the OC Genie and move on (so I say).

Thinking on these parts
5820k processor. I could go bigger and expensive but the benefits really wont be noticed (I'm probably wrong).
Corsair 240mm cooler

GTX 1080 or 2 1070's sli'd (if I sli ill probably sell the amps). I'm sure ill eventually sli even if I get a 1080.

M2 1TB hard drive for games and 2 500GB in Raid0 for system and programs. Plus the HDDs mentioned above. I'm gunna run out of slots!

Fresh new Windows 7 or 10 Pro. not sure yet...

Will reuse my mouse, keyboard, gaming pad speaker system etc, so looks like I don't need much.
Still researching RAM but for the most part I think I'm already pretty close to gutting this bitch and rebuilding it into a fire breathing beast.

I mostly want to have a new super pimp system but be able to play next to my son. Hes 10 now, he drools over the one I have now HA! Figure once its go time I can gut and sell parts to make up some cost and hopefully only be down for a week or 2.
Sorry for the long windiness, I'm all excited n stuff again!
Your feedback is appreciated as I know I still have some homework to do.
Fun times

Solution
if u want to overclock and or sli, i really recommend a new powresupply.
the capacitors are not that great and they have got a problem that the heat can't escape out of the power supply.
source: experienced power supply mods.

looks like money isn't a problem with u so grab yourself a 1080, and a hybrid cooler like the cryorig a40 they're just great. and also cool the VRM's besides just the cpu.
if u want to overclock and or sli, i really recommend a new powresupply.
the capacitors are not that great and they have got a problem that the heat can't escape out of the power supply.
source: experienced power supply mods.

looks like money isn't a problem with u so grab yourself a 1080, and a hybrid cooler like the cryorig a40 they're just great. and also cool the VRM's besides just the cpu.

Solution

Pistondriven

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I may have to upgrade the power supply but with less draw from the new GPUs I may not have to. Its a day dream cramming my 780s in with a GTX1080 so I'll probably just sell them and sli 1080s. Money isn't an issue....so far. I have a tendency to get carried away. We shall see.
I will water cool the CPU with and easy closed loop and see how temps in the rest of the system hold up then decide where to go from there. I really hate complicated water systems. I did that on my very first build. Looks cool but is a pain.
I'll monitor that PSU, I have corsairs link monitor. Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS