Well Played Scam

fll

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
I was called by someone (Alex) today supposedly from the Geek Squad working on behalf of Microsoft. He claimed that my laptop sent an error file to Microsoft. I was very suspicious but to played along. He had me open the Task Mgr and look for file CSRSS.EXE under the "Services" tab. He then acted mildly concerned when I told him the user name and description were blank. Next, I ran the MSCONFIG to see how many MS service apps in the "Stopped" status, which were quite a few. His concern raised another level. I then queried him about the legitimacy of this phone call. He attempted to convince me that everything is legit and gave me a phone# 1-855-481-5399. I still was suspicious, and continued along. I was then asked to download a file called ShowMyPC3161.exe from www.showmypc.com. That is when I asked him if he knew my name. Because as a registered MS OS user they should have my basic info. He got a bit edgy with me. When I told him the name he had given did not belong to anyone in my household or nor did I know anyone of that name he soon hung up.

This was a well played scam. I later did some investigating and found that MS service files are not always in a "Running" status and that my CSRSS.EXE was not compromised. I did have fun calling his bluff, but this ordeal could have been damaging to an unsuspecting victim.

Solution
That scam is well over a year old. I've got a honeypot VM that I let them root around in. My record to date is just shy of 2 hours before the demand for $$$ comes and I tell them that everything has been recorded for forensic analysis. They can't hang up fast enough :evil:

I don't mind wasting their time like that since it keeps them away from a less savvy victim.
That scam is well over a year old. I've got a honeypot VM that I let them root around in. My record to date is just shy of 2 hours before the demand for $$$ comes and I tell them that everything has been recorded for forensic analysis. They can't hang up fast enough :evil:

I don't mind wasting their time like that since it keeps them away from a less savvy victim.

Solution

zarugal

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

MVP here ^

USAFRet

Titan

I used to do that with the car warranty scammers. I got up to 45 minutes.
I have a similar VM, just waiting. I really, really want one of these clowns to call me.

i have received a similar phone call from so-called microsoft technicians before. i think my record is 40 seconds before they start panicking and hang up on me.

i once received a similar call from a so-called verizon representative wanting information to upgrade my service. the dummy was in a restaurant and i could hear other people around him. needless to say i coerced him to get huffy and hang up on me also.

moral of the story? never believe anyone who calls you when it comes to services you subscribe to. always call the number listed clearly on your bill and get transferred internally. follow this mantra and scams like this will never work.