Well That Was Impressive: Playstation VR, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't include any screenshots or video of the actual game(s). Will sharing the VR experience with others be more or less difficult than standard content?

Were the graphics quality somewhere around N64 and Gamecube level of complexity? Did that detract from the experience at all? Did the framerate / frametime feel pretty smooth?

I fail to see how the dreaded "screen door" effect can be effectively mitigated by optics - unless they deliberately make the screen fuzzy (there are seriously people that stick sellotape on their Occulus DK2's to do exactly that). Can anyone here explain how optics can reduce/remove the issue of a low resolution screen being viewed extremely close to the your eyes.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
how is 1080p low resolution?(maybe on a 5 foot wide screen?) and optics manipulate light so can make it appear as if it is farther/closer mitigating any effects of a screen being too close?
And 1080p close to your eyes is pretty high pixel density?
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, seems pretty sweet to me.

willyardms

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I think a big reason Playstation VR doesn't have a screen door is the type of screen used. Playstaion VR uses a 1080P RGB while Oculus uses a 1440P pentile.

TNT27

Distinguished
Well Optics could be as simple as the effect seen with backwards binoculars, it makes the screen appear further away, so you cannot distinguish the different pixels like you could if it appears 1" in front of your face. Which is a great idea, as lower end hardware will be able to perform smoothly, and the user wont be missing out on a clear and crisp VR experience.

Paranimal

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
The reason they were able to basically eliminate the screen door is by using individual color sub pixels... The OLED in the PSVR is just a better display technology than the Oculus even though the Oculus has a higher resolution. Sony has always been at the front of front of screen tech, going back to the 90s they had the trintron dispays even though they were the same resolution as other TVs the image appeared muchsharper and crisper.

I think a big reason Playstation VR doesn't have a screen door is the type of screen used. Playstaion VR uses a 1080P RGB while Oculus uses a 1440P pentile.
Oh ok. Yes. So if you can put the pixels literally right next to each other without any visible gap, you would obviously not get the "screendoor", rather just something that looks "pixelated" but nonetheless solid (think Minecraft). Which would obviously look a lot better than a screendoor, even if it is of a higher resolution.
I've tried the Oculus DK2 and found the image to be pretty rubbish, so am finding this sort of stuff pretty interesting.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I still think the future of screens in VR is getting rid of them entirely. No, i'm not talking about directly sending the image to your brain (i wish, but we're likely a hundred years before we manage to do that, barring surprise developments).
I'm talking about virtual retinal display, that uses a laser and micromirrors to project the image directly to the retina. And the technology is almost upon us, with the Avegant Glyph (no VR, just a headmount monitor) supposedly releasing in early 2016.

GothicVillas

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
as a DK2 owner I read this with an excitement. I love my Rift and enjoy it a lot.. but tbh the image quality is pretty rubbish in the rift. Objects close to you can look great but anything in the distance is a blurry mess. Any menus or any letters are non readable and I end up taking off the headset to read stuff on the monitor next to me. Having said this, VR is still great and I prefer PCars on the rift rather on my triple monitor setup :)
So, reading how good is PSVR makes me wonder...

DonGateley

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
"I was told that there will be some minor refinements"

You can bet that better resolution will be one of them. 1440 lines (Quad HD) is a minimum in the VR market now. The difference when rendering graphics for it is very significant and even interpolating up to it from 1080 content the quality improvement is noticeable. Screen door isn't about resolution but rather about the inactive part of the display between pixels. If that's small enough you'll just see pixelation or blur but not screen door.

goodevil

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

Use magnifying glass on any 1080p screen, you will see pixels. In VR it is even more noticeable, because screen images are warped into "circles" so when you look through lenses it fills FOV without image distortions. So it looks even more pixelated as looking further away from center of FOV.
Just get google cardboard and try with a phone. With 1080p you can see pixels, but with 2560 x 1440 you can barely notice pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS