News Wells Fargo fires more than a dozen employees for faking work using mouse jigglers and keyboard simulation

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Wells Fargo, again.

I guess some of their employees (who are now forbidden to open new accounts for existing customers- without those customers' knowledge!), had to find something new to do.

What is wrong with this bank? It's like a den of thieves and imbeciles!

USAFRet

Titan
Wells Fargo, again.

I guess some of their employees (who are now forbidden to open new accounts for existing customers- without those customers' knowledge!), had to find something new to do.

Its not just WF.
This happens all over. They just haven't been caught, or as newsworthy as WF.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

vijosef

Upstanding
Feb 26, 2024
The one who should be fired is whoever decided to pay the workers based on how much mouse movements they made, rather than their productivity.

If they don't know how productive each worker is, they have a much worse problem. An employee who works only 1 hour a month and generates a million-dollar profit is much better than another who works 24/7 and generates only 1 dollar.

USAFRet

Titan
The one who should be fired is whoever decided to pay the workers based on how much mouse movements they made, rather than their productivity.

If they don't know how productive each worker is, they have a much worse problem. An employee who works only 1 hour a month and generates a million-dollar profit is much better than another who works 24/7 and generates only 1 dollar.
Its not how many mouse movements, but just moving the mouse every couple of minutes, to prevent something like MS Teams from showing you as "Away".

But yes, "productivity" should have been in the mix.

Jun 13, 2024
I must be alone in thinking people working from home having access to my bank account and leaving their computer logged in and active while they leave to go shopping and do other things is a massive breach in fiduciary duty. I'm sure no snooping by unauthorized people has ever happened...

USAFRet

Titan
I must be alone in thinking people working from home having access to my bank account and leaving their computer logged in and active while they leave to go shopping and do other things is a massive breach in fiduciary duty. I'm sure no snooping by unauthorized people has ever happened...
haha...

You'd be surprised at how much of "your data' goes elsewhere.

20+ years ago, buying a used car at a major dealer. Financing from them.

As the deal was done and just the paperwork, I overheard from a newbie to the senior agent:
"So when we send this to Mexico for data entry, does this field have to be filled in?"

Reactions: PEnns

AxS

Jun 15, 2024
The only time I've heard of people actually using mouse jigglers is if their job expects them to stay "green" online even when there's no actual work to do.

I think the real question(s) are:

1. Was there there necessary work that wasn't getting done thanks to the mouse jigglers?

2. If no, is there some issue with the culture at WF that encourages employees to look busy even if there is no real work to be done?

Apr 13, 2024
The bank disclosed it fired the employees after finding they were giving the impression of working when they really weren't.

Wells Fargo fires more than a dozen employees for faking work using mouse jigglers and keyboard simulation : Read more
Turns out that gen z is really gen lay-z and gen x is really gen x-employees.
Why does the younger generation today think they are owed a living wage and it doesn't have to be earned?
I no longer hire anyone under 35 for obvious reasons.

Apr 13, 2024
The only time I've heard of people actually using mouse jigglers is if their job expects them to stay "green" online even when there's no actual work to do.

I think the real question(s) are:

1. Was there there necessary work that wasn't getting done thanks to the mouse jigglers?

2. If no, is there some issue with the culture at WF that encourages employees to look busy even if there is no real work to be done?
There is always work to be done.

Apr 13, 2024
Wells Fargo, again.

It's the entitled generation.

Apr 13, 2024
Lol that's not how that works.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
The same thing could happen if employees at the bank - with your data very visible on their screens - go for a coffee breaks that last 30 minutes. Or maybe longer in the case of lunch breaks.

And furthermore, the snooping audience there is way bigger and way more nefarious (as we have seen from the article) than at home!

PS: If you're thinking their screens would go into lock mode after X amount of time, same could be said of home computers!

Reactions: Grobe
Hmm this really depends, too many things not said. Any kind of department that tracks "away time" is bound to be an extremely toxic place to work. Then again if their department was having issues reaching performance goals, then this could be why and they instituted this to catch them and forestall any unlawful termination lawsuits. I tend to think it's the former issue not the late simply due to WF's previous issue with using number of accounts opened as a performance metric.

USAFRet

Titan
Hmm this really depends, too many things not said. Any kind of department that tracks "away time" is bound to be an extremely toxic place to work.
Not necessarily.
Might be as simple the boss seeing your status as "away", for most of the morning.
He sees that 3/4 times a week...some bosses will have issue with that.

But also..any IT guy that needs to look up a script to maliciously delete data from the servers, AND didn't cover his tracks, AND actually did it...is almost certainly incompetent in other areas.

Not necessarily.
Might be as simple the boss seeing your status as "away", for most of the morning.
He sees that 3/4 times a week...some bosses will have issue with that.

But also..any IT guy that needs to look up a script to maliciously delete data from the servers, AND didn't cover his tracks, AND actually did it...is almost certainly incompetent in other areas.

If it was one or two people then yeah, but twelve indicates there is some sort of department wide metric for "active computer" time being used. Remember this is the place that was using "number of accounts opened" as a performance metric previously.

Also these are non-IT people, they are working in the wealth management department it seems.

USAFRet

Titan
If it was one or two people then yeah, but twelve indicates there is some sort of department wide metric for "active computer" time being used. Remember this is the place that was using "number of accounts opened" as a performance metric previously.

Also these are non-IT people, they are working in the wealth management department it seems.
Sorry, I had this confused with the QA dude that deleted the test VMs.
My bad.

But yeah, I would absolutely not put it past WF to have some uptime monitoring thing going on.