Went from 6GB to 8GB, only recognizes 4GB dual channel.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodhound50

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
O k guys. I recent upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 8GB so I could run dual channeling, however when I installed my new RAM it only recognized 4gb.

-Bios has been flashed
-RAM is known to be working
-All four 2GB ram sticks are 100% matches.
-Reseated several times
-ASUS M4a785td-m evo MOBO
-Corsair tx750v2 PSU (overkill for my setup)

rampic2.png

memorypic.png

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I'm still avoiding Patriot. I bought a couple of their kits that were highly intolerant to overclocking. My old G.SKILL DDR2-800 kit happily ran at 1000+, but the Patriot kits became unstable with as little as a 50 MHz overclock.

Less of an issue now that memory overclocking is much less common, but I've just found G.SKILL to be equal or better quality at a lower price.

Kingston and Crucial from above are the only companies that produce their own IC's, the remainders e.g. G.SKILL, Corsair, and Mushkin 'pick' the IC's and produce the PCB/sink and assemble.

It entirely depends on line of kits; example Corsair Vengeance = poor OC (above rated), Dominator's = great OC, and ditto with any Mfg including G.SKILL.

In your case it really doesn't matter, I seriously doubt you're going to buy DDR3-1333 and try to OC the RAM to DDR3-1866 or faster. The Brands I already listed are all good.

Further, I don't recommend mix-matching RAM: Brands, Lines of Brands, Density (GB), Frequency, CAS Timings, nor especially ever Voltage. In other words, the 'ideal' choice is to buy a Fully Matched Set; least chances of any problems.

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
There is no point in OCing ddr3 memory. When you get up to 1333mhz, Ocing wont be noticed. If you want OC'd memory get 2000mhz+ memory. But to manually adjust timing and voltage on current memory is just asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.