Went to Install my i5-6600K in my new Z170X-UD5

Opendome

Honorable
May 21, 2013
So im trying to install the CPU and something is seriously wrong.... when I try and push down the socket lever while the CPU is properly in place, it takes a tremendous amount of force to push the lever down (still haven't secured it yet). Also it has put dents on the sides of the CPU!!!! The manual says to carefully replace the load plate make sure the front end of the load plate is under the shoulder screw. This is exactly what I did and this happened

IMG324dents.jpg

IMG323.jpg

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Try to boot it. As long as the plate wasn't lifted by the force or the pins messed up or broken, it should be fine. Put the lever down if possible, thermal paste, and heatsink. Boot it. If it works and temps are ok, you are good to go. If it wont boot, tell us the error code if there is one. Report back and we will be glad to help!

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I built my PC with an AMD FX-8320 and have never worked with Intel CPU's. But, I know how they work and it shouldn't need all that pressure. Take the CPU out of the socket, and open the manual. Make SURE that it is being put in properly and isn't backwards or sideways. Also, make sure all pins are straight. If one is bent it could be preventing the CPU from being fully inserted.

Opendome

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I took it out and looked at both manuals and it was/is put in properly and it looks like all the pins are straight (hard to tell). Also now it looks like a bit of dust is one one of the connectors under the CPU itself from taking it out/putting it in some many times, is it safe to use compressed air to blow it off? I'm wondering if its normal for intels of gigabyte screwed up on the MOBO

SlayZombi

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Blow out the socket, compressed air is safe as long as you DON'T tip it upside down. If you do, frozen shit and moisture will get in the socket. If you are SURE that everything is how it should be, I would have to say that either the motherboard or CPU was manufactured improperly and has imperfections that prevent it from going in the slot correctly.