[SOLVED] Went to replace my thermal paste and found a bunch of thermal pads. Do I need to replace those too?

miamiparis

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
I have an Asus ROG G771J laptop. I wanted to replace the thermal paste but I also found some thermal pads under the heatsink. To look at pictures, click on https://photos.app.goo.gl/KPYjvRhmUMS2shy68
Should I also replace the thermal pads or no?
If yes, are they thermal pads cut at the exact dimensions or do I have to cut them myself? What thickness should I buy?

Solution
Those are damaged so they should be replaced.

You cut them to size.

Thickness varies so measure the thickness of the in uncompressed part. If you can’t. Try getting 0.5mm and 1mm pads. Those should cover most needs. Just figure out then which will work.

Clean the surfaces the pads contact areas with rubbing alcohol. Just like you would for thermal paste.
Those are damaged so they should be replaced.

You cut them to size.

Thickness varies so measure the thickness of the in uncompressed part. If you can’t. Try getting 0.5mm and 1mm pads. Those should cover most needs. Just figure out then which will work.

Clean the surfaces the pads contact areas with rubbing alcohol. Just like you would for thermal paste.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS