WEP Key Not Saved

I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE 802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26 characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

If you can see that the WEP key is shows as an eight character string (with
the dots in place of the characters) it means that your WEP key has been
saved. The number of dots is always eight for security. You should still be
able to associate with the SSID by hitting the "Connect" button.

--
Rajiv

Please do not respond directly to this alias.
This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"QB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE
802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no
signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key
is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26
characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this
has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why
my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

If the WEP key is being displayed as an eight character string of dots, it
means that your WEP settings are being saved. The number of dots is always
eight for security purposes. By just hitting the "Connect"button, you should
be able to associate your PC card with the wireless router.

--
Rajiv

Please do not respond directly to this alias.
This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"QB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Win XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177 with a Phoebe IEEE
802.11B compliant PC card. Everything works OK except now and then I get no
signal and I check the wireless network propertiesfinding that the WEP key
is shown as about an eight character string. The correct WEP key is 26
characters long. After I reset the key, the connection is OK. However, this
has happened now on several occasions. Does anyone have any clues as to why
my WEP key settings aren't being saved?

I have a similar problem and have found that by re-enabling WEP and the
level of security everything re-conects without having to re-enter the
password.
It seems to be an XP problem since the same hardware works on a 98 system
without any such issues.

Nick