WEP Problem

andytriumph

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,
I have two Netgear wgr614v9's liked together and cannot engage the wep on ethier of the routers( base station or repeater) because after I do that, I lose my signal on both routers and then my laptop tells me it cannot connect due to security problems with my connection. Then I open up the wireless properties to choose wep and then the passphrase and still nothing. I've even tried engaging the wep on only the repeater station and then I can't get back into it. I have to then reset it and start over.

That would normally point to inputting the wrong code. Go back in and change from WEP to WPA - it's a far stronger security level - then set a key of your own. Eight alpha characters will do and make sure you click on Apply or Save Changes before leaving the router's settings.[/#000ff]

Sounds as though that router could do with a hard reset - there's usually a button on the back or a hole into which you poke then end of a paperclip but the instruciton manual will tell you. Make sure you know your ISP login an dpassword before you do it though - all th esettings will go when you reset.

[/#000ff]

optimusprime619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Netgear WGR 614v9 wireless repeating allows only WEP or no security...try using only the key 1 field for both the wireless routers not create with passphrase and then try again if doesn't work try with no security just to see if it functions in that way.....if any of those two units happens to be refurbished you might have complications in repeating as some refurb units are stripped off better features...