WEP/WPA passkey & "Connect Automatically"

bpb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Has anyone ever noticed this: When you associate Windows 7 with an access point with either WEP or WPA security, the "Connect Automatically" box is usually checked by default. I've found that if I uncheck this box it will ask for the WEP or WPA key every time I go to connect. With a long key this is more than a little annoying.

Is there a way to have Win7 (RC1 Build 7100) remember the network key? I hope so, and that I just haven't investigated it enough to know how to do it.

Solution
You're basically saying that when you don't set Windows 7 to automatically connect with a WEP/WPA-protected hotspot, it will always ask for the key next time, right?

What you're looking for actually makes sense. I think however that them MS dudes didn't see it your way. A great suggestion for them to implement, so make sure you do on the Windows 7 website!

If you're trying to suppress auto-connect because you want to connect to another hotspot within the same area, you can try moving that WEP/WPA protected hotspot to the bottom of your priority list. Go the Network and Sharing Center, and click on Manage Wireless Networks.

r_manic

Administrator
You're basically saying that when you don't set Windows 7 to automatically connect with a WEP/WPA-protected hotspot, it will always ask for the key next time, right?

What you're looking for actually makes sense. I think however that them MS dudes didn't see it your way. A great suggestion for them to implement, so make sure you do on the Windows 7 website!

If you're trying to suppress auto-connect because you want to connect to another hotspot within the same area, you can try moving that WEP/WPA protected hotspot to the bottom of your priority list. Go the Network and Sharing Center, and click on Manage Wireless Networks.

Solution

bpb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008

That's it; when I don't set it to auto-connect it asks for the key every time. I haven't noticed with WPA2 because I do set that particular connection to auto-connect. It's also rather irritating that I have to uncheck "auto-connect" every time I select a different network.

I'm thinking surely they've thought of this, or maybe it will be in the RTM version. But I'll be sure to post it on the Win7 website.