So the FLGS got in a buncha copies of Forsaken this week. I leafed
through it earlier today. It looks very well done. Ethan Skemp's done a
great job. Tight, focused, "mature" (whatever that means) and pretty to
look at it.

Shame I don't want it. Sometimes I wonder if something's wrong with me.

--
Tyler

m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

Tyler Dion wrote:
> So the FLGS got in a buncha copies of Forsaken this week. I leafed
> through it earlier today. It looks very well done. Ethan Skemp's done
> great job. Tight, focused, "mature" (whatever that means) and pretty
> look at it.
>
> Shame I don't want it. Sometimes I wonder if something's wrong with
me.

Maybe it's spreading.

I pretty much knew I wasn't getting VtR, as Vampire has always been
pretty low on my WW favelist. But I was looking forward to the new
Werewolf and Mage, as I have a lot of the previous lines. But the more
I read about the new WtF on the WW website, the more my ardor
cooled...It does look well-done, but...I dunno...^^;

Still looking forward to Mage2, tho. They'll have to really do it over
to make me *not* want that!

Dex

Tyler Dion wrote:

> So the FLGS got in a buncha copies of Forsaken this week. I leafed
> through it earlier today. It looks very well done. Ethan Skemp's done a
> great job. Tight, focused, "mature" (whatever that means) and pretty to
> look at it.

> Shame I don't want it. Sometimes I wonder if something's wrong with me.

I got my copy today. It's really impressive. There's several new
artists who's work really, really, /really/ appeals to me:

http://www.white-wolf.com/admin/upload_files/UrathaRitualist.jpg
http://www.white-wolf.com/werewolf/PureTribes.jpg
http://graphics.white-wolf.com/images/werewolfimage1.jpg
http://graphics.white-wolf.com/images/werewolfimage2.jpg
http://graphics.white-wolf.com/images/werewolfimage3.jpg
http://graphics.white-wolf.com/images/werewolfimage4.jpg

I'm still not a big fan of Ron Spencer or Steve Prescott (the tribe
splat portraits are done by the latter, and he's starting to look like
Leif Jones, of all the art styles he could be drifting towards,
goddamnit), but these new dudes (I /think/ they're new) are just great.

(On the other hand, the tribe splat portraits are at least not the same
as the tribe portraits posted in the teasers, thank Urfarah.)

Also, it's significantly prettier than the Vampire: The Requiem
corebook. Partially this is because the illustrations are in brown --
imagine what the V:tR corebook would look like if the illustrations had
been red and you'd get an idea of the general effect.

Unfortunately the editing in W:tF is much worse than the editing in
V:tR. Oopsies everywhere. On the other hand, the index has that neato
"the most important page number is bolded" feature that the WoD corebook
uses and the V:tR index lacks (maybe V:tR's second printing will fix
that; that'd be great), and the lexicon is put sensibly at the end of
the introduction unlike V:tR, which puts it at the end of the first chapter.

I'm happy with it so far. I wish it went into more detail on the Pure,
though -- they seem to be mostly relegated to "We'll explain this in a
supplement," a trend V:tR moved away from and that I'd hoped the whole
WoD would shed. The Pure here don't even get as much coverage as the
Black Spiral Dancers did in WW:tARev.

Oh, and apparently the nWoD has half a million werewolves. This means
they significantly outnumber nWoD vampires, of whom there are about
130,000 (population of 6.5 million humans; one kindred per 50,000 kine).
I suppose this makes sense, as werewolves have a roughly even
distribution across the geography while vampires can only survive in
great numbers in cities, which, when you get right down to it, don't
actually cover that much land.

I already can't wait to read Predators.
--
Stephenls
Geek

In article <1111204152.462348.152770@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Hand-of-Omega" <handofomega@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But the more
> I read about the new WtF on the WW website, the more my ardor
> cooled...It does look well-done, but...I dunno...^^;

I think part of it is that with focus, you lose the broad, free-wheeling
nature that both Apocalypse and Ascension had. The core books presented
settings that allowed equally for both wacky and serious content, with
room for everything in between. I liked that flexibility.

Forsaken seemed much less flexible in that regard.

> Still looking forward to Mage2, tho. They'll have to really do it over
> to make me *not* want that!

I haven't heard enough either way to say. It takes three points to make
a trend, so I can't say there's one of those causing me to lose heart.

--
Tyler

m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

In news:3a1o3iF67af4kU1@individual.net,
Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> typed:
> Oh, and apparently the nWoD has half a million werewolves. This means
> they significantly outnumber nWoD vampires, of whom there are about
> 130,000 (population of 6.5 million humans; one kindred per 50,000
> kine). I suppose this makes sense, as werewolves have a roughly even
> distribution across the geography while vampires can only survive in
> great numbers in cities, which, when you get right down to it, don't
> actually cover that much land.

Ummm. 6.5 million humans? Are you talking about some specific area? I
thought the nWod setting is the globe, not just New Jersey. Or what am I
missing here? Ah, I think I got it. You meant to say billion not million?
(6 500 000 000)

And yes, city dwellers are the minority. Especially around the globe, I
wonder what's the situation in US though? As the Bush election showed, city
folk are minority there as well but how much of one. In Afrika the wolvies
probably outnumber the leeches 20-1 but in a "civilised" region the ratio is
probably less than the global 500-130.

Anyone have a demographic of US citisens?

--
T. Koivula

T. Koivula wrote:

> Ummm. 6.5 million humans? Are you talking about some specific area? I
> thought the nWod setting is the globe, not just New Jersey. Or what am I
> missing here? Ah, I think I got it. You meant to say billion not million?
> (6 500 000 000)

Yeah, that's what I meant. My bad.
--

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
>Tyler Dion wrote:

>> So the FLGS got in a buncha copies of Forsaken this week. I leafed
>> through it earlier today. It looks very well done. Ethan Skemp's done a
>> great job. Tight, focused, "mature" (whatever that means) and pretty to
>> look at it.

>> Shame I don't want it. Sometimes I wonder if something's wrong with me.

>I got my copy today. It's really impressive. There's several new
>artists who's work really, really, /really/ appeals to me:

Aye, the art is mighty good for most of the book.

>I'm still not a big fan of Ron Spencer or Steve Prescott (the tribe
>splat portraits are done by the latter, and he's starting to look like
>Leif Jones, of all the art styles he could be drifting towards,
>goddamnit), but these new dudes (I /think/ they're new) are just great.

I was rather disappointed in the tribe portraits after
seeing a lot of the other art. It seemed like they were
more cartoony, and not in a good way.

<SNIP>

>I'm happy with it so far. I wish it went into more detail on the Pure,
>though -- they seem to be mostly relegated to "We'll explain this in a
>supplement," a trend V:tR moved away from and that I'd hoped the whole
>WoD would shed. The Pure here don't even get as much coverage as the
>Black Spiral Dancers did in WW:tARev.

Never picked of WW:tARev, but I thought the coverage on the
Pure was OK. I have enough to understand their motives, and
mechanically the seem to be like the Forsaken tribes, but with
no auspices. The lack of auspice seems a slight disadvantage
for the Pure, and helps explain why the more numerous and
evidently more homicidal Pure haven't finished cleaning up
the Forsaken tribes.

>Oh, and apparently the nWoD has half a million werewolves. This means
>they significantly outnumber nWoD vampires, of whom there are about
>130,000 (population of 6.5 million humans; one kindred per 50,000 kine).
> I suppose this makes sense, as werewolves have a roughly even
>distribution across the geography while vampires can only survive in
>great numbers in cities, which, when you get right down to it, don't
>actually cover that much land.

Indeed. And the relatively large numbers of the Forsaken make
me wonder just how important their role as "spirit cops" is.

If there's that many of them pounding on nasty spirit boojums
and the WoD is still so hellish, it seems that places without
werewolves could be very bad places to live.

I am also, of course, curious as to how the spirit world and
vampires interact. It seems likely that vampires might have
a crop of spirits hanging about and feeding off the pain/lust/
fear that the vampires are generating.

>I already can't wait to read Predators.

Heh, I still need to finish Forsaken, but I must say, I actually
really want to play werewolf now, and that's a first.

~P.