Western Digital 250GB Caviar Blue

eloplayspolo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
So at the location I work, I often get servers that are worthless for resale, we are liquidators. Today I came a across an AMD server with redhat, 1.8ghz 1gb ram, and it had 6 250gb Sata 1.5 WD Caviar Blue drives in it. Everything else is worthless to me, but I am keeping the drives for personal use.

My question is, Will 2 of these drives on Raid-0 be quicker than 1 Spinpoint f3, or WD Black, or Segate?
Would you configure these in any way to make them worth while?

I am in the process of building an i7, and if I can get away with saving the 250 dollars on drives that i was going to, i would love to be able to. If nothing else, are these drives efficient enough to throw into a Antec 1200, All 6 of them, i know they are 6-8w idle, and about 11w peak. My use for the amount of disc space is Media (movies, music).

Thank you

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I suggest you get a high density, 1TB - 2TB drive. Aside from the electricity savings (6 drives idle * 8 watts each = 48 W for your hard drives), you also have less chance of failure. In a RAID0 array, a failure of one drive will render the whole array useless. You could get a WD Caviar Green 1TB drive for around 90$. It's a power efficient, high density drive.

Although if you want to skimp on the drives, I suggest you use all 6 in a RAID5 array.

eloplayspolo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Thank you very much for the reply.

Data Loss is not a big concern for me, I save most of my important docs to my server at the office. That being said, How will two of these perform on raid 0?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts