Western Digital 2TB WD2002FAEX

philippeorlando

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,

I build a system back in 2007 that has been working amazingly well up to tonight.
I have room for storage in my case and I added a Western Digital 2TB WD2002FAEX as fast storage drive. As soon as I connected the drive I could see it in drive management. I formatted it. It took 6 hours, of course. Then in MY COMPUTER, I could see the drive fine. I open it, closed it on the desktop. Everything seemed fine. I restarted the computer. The first time the drive didn't show up anymore; a drive I had successfully formatted in disk management. And now it won't let Windows XP SP2 start. WHen I disconnect the drive, windows starts fine. I've tried several times, each time I connect he drive the computer doens't boot. As soon as I disconnect it, windows XP starts normally.

Mother board is ASUS P5W DH deluxe

What is going on?

philippeorlando

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I went into the BIOS, couldn't see my C drive, and my new WD drive. Besides the new drive and the C drive I had another storage drive, small and old. I disconnected it and suddenly my new drive is fine and works fine. So it could be an issue with the mother board? but now with only the C drive connected the New WD 2B drive works fine. Still, I'm not happy with it. It's an amazing drive I could see at which speed it wrote a 5 Gig video file I copied from an external drive, amazing less than 2 minutes. But I was hoping that the playing would be better. I'm using a codec called CINEFORM and in the best viewing option it's jerky. I thought a fast drive would improve that. I must have some other bottlenecks in my old system. I'm going to have to bite that new bullet and build a new system, I guess. Thanks for our help. Philippe