Western Digital Announces New Lineup of Se Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If these are offered with five year warranties, I could see them being a good option The price premium doesn't look too bad (they will no doubt come in under MSRP), but data reliability can be a big deal. Since they are targeted at data centers, I wonder if they will have TLER for RAID use?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I sure hope these drives have TLER. If so, I'll probably be picking up a few. If not, then most data centers would be foolish to use these.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
From WD's website and the other articles I've read it looks like the Se lineup is a lower-cost alternative to the Re series. The drives have all the features of the Re drives, including TLER. They are just rated with a lower MTBF than the Re series. Given that they are targeted at enterprise customers and still come with a 5-year warranty these will make for great cheaper alternatives for Re drives for home users who demand the features that only Re-series drives have.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Let me guess. The 4TB model will STILL have 5 platters instead of 4?
Retarded

Their datasheet (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1050) shows that the 2TB, 3TB and 4TB models all are the same weight and same power consumption. Doesn't make sense unless they all have the same number of platters.

So if the MTBF is 800,000 hours (a little over 91 years) then why do we have to cut the warranty period? Used to be harddrives were warrantied for 7 years, now 5 is the best you can get, the Reds are 3 years and the greens and blues and Seagate's are 2 years. Must be an extremely flat bell curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.