[SOLVED] Western Digital: Black or Ultrastar?

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I'm looking to replace my Toshiba 8TB large storage drive. It contains media & backup files, no programs.
I see that WD's Ultrastar is better priced than the Black. I have to assume it's built for better longevity, possibly lower performance even though it's still 7200RPM.

I know it's WD now, but I have an old Hitachi 500GB Deskstar drive from 2007 that's still in operation, and I have a special love for it.

Is it still worth it to spend the difference and go Black or is the Ultrastar a good answer?

Solution
Most of WD's spinning drive products are/have been well respected, save for perhaps a few specimens from the WD Green series, particularly in 3 TB sizes...

Just double check that the Ultrastar you are researching buying is actually SATA (vice SAS) and NEW (vice once that was already used 2 years in some datacenter!), if that is what you are hoping to acquire...

(You can also compare WD's Red and Red Pro drive prices into the mix, but, taking care NOT to buy anything but a CMR drive, of which I think all WD Red drives above 8 TB were CMR last time I looked...)

Most of WD's spinning drive products are/have been well respected, save for perhaps a few specimens from the WD Green series, particularly in 3 TB sizes...

Just double check that the Ultrastar you are researching buying is actually SATA (vice SAS) and NEW (vice once that was already used 2 years in some datacenter!), if that is what you are hoping to acquire...

(You can also compare WD's Red and Red Pro drive prices into the mix, but, taking care NOT to buy anything but a CMR drive, of which I think all WD Red drives above 8 TB were CMR last time I looked...)

Solution
I'm looking to replace my Toshiba 8TB large storage drive. It contains media & backup files, no programs.
I see that WD's Ultrastar is better priced than the Black. I have to assume it's built for better longevity, possibly lower performance even though it's still 7200RPM.

I know it's WD now, but I have an old Hitachi 500GB Deskstar drive from 2007 that's still in operation, and I have a special love for it.

Is it still worth it to spend the difference and go Black or is the Ultrastar a good answer?
If the warranty is important to you perhaps check to see who is supplying the warranty.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Saw discussion of 3.3v problem and that none of the sellers are actually Amazon. Forget it. Too many questions involved with using a server drive in a home PC.

Edit 2: Is there really anything worth buying besides a WD Black anymore? I'm probably going with 8TB again and it's strictly media and backup files. I don't need the performance, but everything else just seems questionable.

Last edited: