Western Digital Caviar Black XP pre-install screen getting error

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hello ,
I used windows vista diskpart utility to create a partiton , then formatted the partition with 64K cluster size under the NTFS file system . When I tried installing windows XP , the Pre-Setup blue screen loads drivers and other pre setup stuff but when it reaches the "ready to install windows" I get a blue screen of death suggesting my hard drive might have a virus or problem and that I should run chkdsk . I did on windows vista setting on automatically find and recover bad sectors . NO PROBLEMS were found . I used the Windows Vista memory diagnostic tool to check my memory also no errors were found . I tried using your diagnostic utility both for win/dos and recieved "requires elevetion" on windows Vista SP2 and it hanged on its pc version .

I Used Seagate disk check utilities all basic tests and all passed green . My system info :

Asus p8p67 motherboard
CPU : intel core i5-2500k
RAM : Crucial 2*2GB PC1600
GPU : EVGA Geforce 550 gtx ti
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB 7200RPM 32 MB Cache , Model Number WD5002AALX

I even tried deleting the partition and starting windows xp SP3 with same results . I tried installing windows Vista and then installing windows XP same blue screen of death . blue screen of death technical code :0x000007B

Now does this hard drive support windows XP SP3 or not ? And how can I reset my hard drive totally to see maybe that fixes the problem , your utility says it needs elevation on windows vista and doesnt run from the command prompt(the dos version) .

And is my hard needs Advanced format ? Im planning windows xp/vista/7 triple boot . Also should I use WD align utility ? These all of course after I got my problem fixed . and BTW the drive is brand new .

runswindows95

Distinguished
It's not the drive. XP does not support SATA natively. In order to make the SATA drive work with XP, you either need to do one of the two things roughly:

1) Install the SATA driver for your motherboard.
2) Set the SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Even XP Service Pack 3 ? How come my SATA seagate SATA 3 Gb/sec had no problems ?

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

I get the blue screen of death in the initial setup not the graphical setup , the setup that has only a darker blue screen and it loads all the files , it crashes right before the moment windows is going to ask for those 3 choices of repair and etc

Actually, I've had problems with pre-formatted drives.

You need to get a program that will ERASE (write "0's") across your drive. Usually a quick erase works.

I'm not saying that's the problem.

I recommend this utility:
http://www.killdisk.com/features.htm

I recommend the free bootable CD (can also be done from another PC even if you use a USB drive with that hard drive).

Steps:
1. Download ISO on another PC and burn the bootable CD
2. Install hard drive
3. Insert Kill Disk CD
4. Turn on PC
5. Follow instructions (Note: quick erase should work)
6. Turn OFF PC
7. Boot with Windows Disc and reformat drive

Other:
Have you inserted the hard drive into another computer and run Western Digital diagnostics from Windows (install WD software)?

If you get errors, try the ERASE method and retry the diagnostics.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
UPDATE :I passed the first problem . It was the AHCI Mode in Asus Bios . Set it to IDE .

Then another problem came , XP pre install didn't blue screen me but said that it

cannot find any hard drives attached blah blah blah . Now this is while the

motherboard start screen shows my hard running at 6 Gb/sec . I figured since the DVD

writer is working on the intel SATA 6 controller I put the hard there and put the DVD

writer on the SATA 3 Controllers . Now windows XP recognized it . Partitioning and

Formatting with Vistas Diskpart since I put the win 7 diskpart on a usb and it gives me

not a valid win32 app . Formatting with Windows Vistas Diskpart and then I'll try

installing 3 Os es . There are 2 problems though , now the setup pre screen (not the

American Trends Screen which give you access to BIOS) Says no hard drive detected !

Second Problem is that I dont know how marvell and intel controllers compare in

terms of performance . I might switch to Marvell again after installing drivers on xp to

see if it works . Another funny problem is that the asus powero n led on the

motherboard now takes longer to turn off after switching the power off . weird stuff .

Sorry for the long post and many thanks to people who are helping

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Managed to Install Windows XP Pro SP3 , Windows Vista SP2 , Windows 7 SP1 . XP doesn't work yet under AHCI mode on the intel p67 chipset , Installed the marvel driver provided by asus , Will try again to boot under XP .

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
The Marvel driver that came with the asus P8P67 still wont solve the problem . XP crashes in a sec when the loading screen comes UNDER AHCI MODE .