Western Digital, Enclosure, sata data doesn't fit?

kdas123

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hi,

The mini USB part of my western digital ext hard drive broke, and I couldn't find a replacement port to re-solder so I bought an enclosure to try and see if that would work.

I got a sabrent 3.5" SATA/IDE hard drive enclosure and have a WD Caviar Green drive. I got the power part of the enclosure hooked up to the SATA port, but when I tried to hookup the data part the cable doesn't have the "ledge" to it so it won't fit.

Am I using the wrong cable or the wrong part?

There is no legacy ATA power part either so I can't do the secureconnect thing.

Thanks

If the enclosure's data cable can be replaced, you could get a SATA data cable that fits the HDD connector and use that in the enclosure. Although, from what I read online about this enclosure, there is very limited room inside, so you might have a problem fitting the cable inside.
I personally use a Thermaltake blacx "drop-in" SATA enclosure (actually, is more like a HDD bay than a full enclosure). Excellent cooling of the HDDs, can just drop in the HDD and remove it at a whim if needed... perfect for my needs. You might want to check one out for future reference.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Which model of the Sabrent 3.5" SATA/IDE hard drive enclosure did you get? Is it the one with the external power supply the EC-UEIS7 which has a USB connector? Internal SATA hard drives have a L shaped connector for both the power and data.

TRENDING THREADS