Western Digital External Hard Drive Problem

edmundmaher

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Every time I try to back up by C:/ drive usig the Western Digital 1 TB external hard drive the back up does not successfully complete and I get the message that it has not succeeded. I am using Windows 7 Professional

edmundmaher

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I had a smaller external drive prior to getting the Western Digital and it backed up with no problem. I needed a larger drive and hence I bought the 1TB Western Digital. I looked at the backup logs and there are no errors shown. The WD after repeated tries does eventually back up but it takes at least three or four before it is successful.

edmundmaher

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I am using Windws backup. The data I am backing up comes to over half the capacity of the 1TB in the Western Digital so there is plenty of memory there.

The settings I use in Windows backup are the standard ones recommended by Microsoft. The puzzling thing about the whole exercise is that the WD does eventually back up if you repeatedly keep trying once you get the failed back up message. That is what puzzles me most as it will back up sometimes after two tries or sometimes it takes four or five. If there is a fault why is that fault being over ridden in the repeat tries?

I personally don't like Windows backup, I use Norton Ghost. I'm not saying Ghost is the best backup program but I like it better than Windows backup. I will do a little more research on your issue and see if I come up with anything helpful. Just out of curiosity, how is the external drive connected to the computer (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Firewire, eSATA)?

edmundmaher

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

USB 2.0 - Thanks for taking the trouble to try and solve this problem. I never heard of Norton Ghost but I will look at it now.

torretjunkie

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
i move alot of data movies boxing etc an it takes time to move from drive to another also espically if im moving from my internaL hdds to external lol its says some times 34 minutes to move 10 gig but moves it in 8 minutes are not a geeek but are you not mybe please dont bite me head off but are you expecting it to fast to move it or do i have or read it wrong? :whistle: infact im puzzled so im goin to move some stuff to time it ok 3gig 2 mins that was from 1 internal to another ive a hdd to move which is external and about 500 gig to backup so ill be back to tell :pt1cable:

edmundmaher

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks for your reply but I am not moving data from one drive to another but juts doing a C:/ Drive back up as protection in case of a crash or infection on my hard drive. This would then enable me to transfer all my software and files on to a new hard drive if I had to. I want to back up therefore purely as a precaution and inurance against failure.

Thanks again for considering the problem