Western Digital hard drive lost power

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

It seems as though I have a hard-drive that has lost power ... I cannot hear it
spinning and cannot access the 3 volumes on it. I was wondering if anyone has had
experience with this type hard-drive failure and who (what company) would be a reliable
source for recovering the data. The drive is a Western Digital IDE 40gb,

Thanks,
Roger

roger <rogerh@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> It seems as though I have a hard-drive that has lost power ... I cannot hear
> it spinning and cannot access the 3 volumes on it. I was wondering if anyone
> has had experience with this type hard-drive failure

The first thing to try is another power connector, off one of the
optical drives if necessary. The metal tunnels the power pins
go into can open up over time and it can be as simple as that.

> and who (what company) would be a reliable source for recovering the data.

Ontrack, but you had better be sitting down when they tell you the price.