Western digital hd 500gb makes sounds

western13

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
hi everybody

i just bought a new western digital 500gb hardrive

Western_Digital_Caviar_Blue_500_GB.jpg

and it makes 3 types of sounds

first one sound is the harddisk starting sound i hear it when i open its partition i read somwhere that is slows down when im not using it as power saving thing ( i have another HD 640gb that i mainly use)

so is that righT?

second sound : how do i explaine . u know the spinning sound of the harddisk when u start the computer . i hear some kind of spinning sound which last for a second or somthings .i hear it from time to time .rarely like once or twice each hour . why is that ?

and i hear that same kind of some or a sound very like it when to computer turns of not while is turning of .when it finaly turns of and not running i dont know if this a normal stopping sound or what .

is my new HD fine or should it be replaced ? friend of mine told me if its not making a clicking sound then its okay . and its not making any clicking sound .but im worried from the other sound

Solution
All electro-mechanical devices will make some noise.

First question - Yes

Second question - Sound of the HDD spinning up for data storage and retrieval. Normal.

Third question - Sound of the suspension arms parking - Normal

Your friend is right. As long as you don't hear 'clicking' sounds, your HDD is fine. (Clicking sounds are signs of impending disk failure).
All electro-mechanical devices will make some noise.

First question - Yes

Second question - Sound of the HDD spinning up for data storage and retrieval. Normal.

Third question - Sound of the suspension arms parking - Normal

Your friend is right. As long as you don't hear 'clicking' sounds, your HDD is fine. (Clicking sounds are signs of impending disk failure).

Solution

western13

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

first thank you very much i was very scared that there is somthing wrong .

but something else happened today . i was downloading something with utorrent and in the middle of the download i got an error saying " error : cyclic redundancy check "( i used to get this error with my 640gb harddisk and download would refuse to continuo i would check for bad sectors with hdd regenarator and repair them then the download would continuo) but when i got it today the download continuod anyway after it finished i was copying the file i downloaded and i got an error saying "couldnt read from souce file or drive " or somthing like that :D . so i checked for bad sectors with hdd regenarator and i found 17 bad sectors repaired them and the download continuod . so i asked my friend about this .and he told me that the bad sector is the file i was downloading not in the harddrive. is he right :D ?

Yes, sometimes videos, photos, files, etc., have bad data (corrupted). In such cases, the computer will alert you to this and await your decision to continue or not.

To check your hard disk, you can download 'HD Tune' and run it.

Make sure you are performing frequent backups of your computer on to an external hard disk. This is just good practice for all users.

western13

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

thanks man happy that my harddisk if fine :) .